What has happened here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We bought our house 5 years ago and the paint started chipping from the walls. Is it correct that the previous owners/builders didn't prime the wall hence why this paint is peeling off? I want to redo that wall by myself and wonder how we'd get the paint off? Scraper, chemicals...any help would be very much welcome

Attachments

• PXL_20240429_114254298.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240429_114254298.MP.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240429_114243734.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240429_114243734.MP.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Bad luck!
It's a pain finding that the PO was a decorating slob.

Where it's loose you'll be able to get a scraper behind it and take most of it off in sheets. Where it's stuck, you either rub down to a fine edge, or take it off with stripper, I used Peelaway 7 which doesn't need neutralising after you finish, just needs to be washed off and left to dry thoroughly.

Possible causes:
- the plaster was too polished. A polished coat kills adhesion, and should have been sanded before painting.
- first coat not thinned. First coat thin 50%, second coat 25%.
- Frequent repainting. Eventually the paint film and the adhesion between the coats becomes stronger than the adhesion to the wall, and it starts to crack, then off it comes.

Our cottage was owned by two characters who seem to have been obsessed with keeping everything 'fresh' and we had thick coats of white vinyl paint everywhere, in a period cottage that should only have been done with limewash or clay paint or other breathable coatings. They even emulsioned the woodwork, door knobs and electric fittings. Classic decorating slobs.

Anyway, you're right to get to the bottom of it, no good just painting over the the top. Bash on!

Thank you and apologies for the delayed response.

You do wonder why people plaster a wall really well and then do things like this. I think I will go with the removal of all bit and sand down edges approach in hope that no other areas come loose.

Again, thank you for your advice

Sponsored Links
Bad luck!
It's a pain finding that the PO was a decorating slob.

Where it's loose you'll be able to get a scraper behind it and take most of it off in sheets. Where it's stuck, you either rub down to a fine edge, or take it off with stripper, I used Peelaway 7 which doesn't need neutralising after you finish, just needs to be washed off and left to dry thoroughly.

Possible causes:
- the plaster was too polished. A polished coat kills adhesion, and should have been sanded before painting.
- first coat not thinned. First coat thin 50%, second coat 25%.
- Frequent repainting. Eventually the paint film and the adhesion between the coats becomes stronger than the adhesion to the wall, and it starts to crack, then off it comes.

Our cottage was owned by two characters who seem to have been obsessed with keeping everything 'fresh' and we had thick coats of white vinyl paint everywhere, in a period cottage that should only have been done with limewash or clay paint or other breathable coatings. They even emulsioned the woodwork, door knobs and electric fittings. Classic decorating slobs.

Anyway, you're right to get to the bottom of it, no good just painting over the the top. Bash on!
Thank you and apologies for the delayed response.

You do wonder why people plaster a wall really well and then do things like this. I think I will go with the removal of all bit and sand down edges approach in hope that no other areas come loose.

Again, thank you for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back