What Hikvision cameras are people going for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a setup with several mini bullet DS-2CD2042WD-I and DS-2CD2142FWD-I Dome cameras. They are connected via POE switches to a couple of Synology servers. 2 Cameras per server.

The above cameras are a few years old now, but I'm struggling to understand the equivalent models now that Hikvision do budget ranges. What cameras are people going for? I'm not particularly interested in 4K cameras, but want 4mp or higher.

One of my cameras is refusing to hardware reset and is locked out, so I'm thinking of upgrading some of them. Any suggestions gratefully received. It seems the latest models no longer have IR LEDs, has the tech moved on ?

Sponsored Links
You are looking at cameras in the wrong way, you should get cameras specified for the job they are doing.

IR comes in several guises, and white light cameras are available

I have just changed my Hikvision 3mp IR cameras for Hikvision ColorVu 5mp version, these give excellent daytime recording and Colour at night which is also very good quality and far superior to the standard B/W infrared.
A mixture of 2.8 and 3.6mm lenses cover my property fine.

Thing to watch for is frame rates, faster moving objects won’t look as good if the frame rate is low, can’t tell you the frame rate between the 4 and 5mp wrt to recording but from memory it is significant.

Sponsored Links
Mine all record at 20fps, including 8k cameras. They are fixed at daytime mode as there is sufficient artificial lighting.

guessing yours would be IP not analogue Sally, but SandyLyons are analogue as Color Vu don't have 5MP IP camera variants yet.

typically, (2MP)30fps, 25fps,20fps, 15fps, 12fps and 8fps (4K) max, analogue recording but it can depend on the DVR being used.

IP cameras have a similar frame rate drop as resolution goes up, but even 4K has 20fps, again NVR's can limit what is recorded.

The OP said they were connected by POE switches.

edit: Just noticed that there was a different poster!

Last edited:
Some external dome cameras with polycarbonate domes discolour over time making the camera view misty.

try ipvm calculator.

the resolution on its own means absolutely nothing, you have to look at pixel density for the best image.

so some 6MP 2.8mm have a similar pixel density 4MP 4mm cameras as they cover a slightly smaller area.

the ipvm calculator will allow you to place specific models and lens options if in the database over a satellite image of your own home.

it is a guide only. color vu cameras are excellent in low light environments, so you may be better off with a color vu 4mp camera than a darkfighter 6MP camera if it is very dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back