What Internet Dongle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want internet access on my old laptop, when I am out & about (currently looking for new house).
Whilst I have access on my mobile looking at property & mapping is not easy.
I want a PAYG dongle, there seems to be such a choice, I do not want a contract.
Anyone any ideas or use such a thing

Sponsored Links
I got a 3 PAYG Dongle when I was in hospital and for holidays in the UK:
http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband

The one I use is Everyday Pay As You Go + 1
Internet speed is fine and I may have been lucky but coverage as always been fine when I needed to use it.

Either £10 a month or 1GB but once you start the month it continues to run, not like a PAYG phone where it lasts until you call credit is used.

dave

If you have internet already on your phone why not just buy a dongle and put your SIM card into that

Iv'e seen this work before, what phone is it can I ask because I have the HTC Android which has a utility installed to make the phone a wireless hotspot, comes in very handy indeed

So don't subscribe to mobile web, if you have it on your phone just get hold of a dongle

If you have internet already on your phone why not just buy a dongle and put your SIM card into that

Iv'e seen this work before, what phone is it can I ask because I have the HTC Android which has a utility installed to make the phone a wireless hotspot, comes in very handy indeed

So don't subscribe to mobile web, if you have it on your phone just get hold of a dongle
Thanks for that I will look into it.
I have a Nokia using Symbian, internet is good, but feel I need the use of the laptop for 2/4 months

Sponsored Links
I have the Nokia X6, and use a program called "JoikuSpot". That enables me to turn my phone into a wifi spot also.I get 500 Meg with my contract, and pay an extra £5.70 ish to make it up to 2 Gig allowance a month. I am alsao with Hutchinson's "Three" mobile.

This application does use the phones battery up PDQ though :mad:

Danechip...Just found that & was about to do a thanks to DaveM
I did a google on 'turn phone into wifi hotspot' (may help others).
Had to register have installed it & seems to be working.
Saved me a few ££££.

You may find that using your phone breaks the T&Cs of your contract- I am with T-mob and my Web'n'Walk does permit tethering.

For those of you without wifi on your phone an alternative is to buy a usb bluetooth dongle (my local pound shop had tiny ones for a quid recently). Most phones have bluetooth and windows will just use the phone as an external dial-up modem via bluetooth.

There is no need to install any of the crap that comes with the phone. Windows 7 makes the process lemon squeezy where-as Xp requires you to enter the string to dial during set up after pairing.

Another advantage is that your phone's battery will get caned less, on the downside only one pc can use the modem at any given point in time (and the range will be shorter- 10 metres).

I am pretty sure that the "3" contract specifically says that you cannot use the internet access for driving other computers etc.

How they might know though might be questionable.

The access speed on my Nokia E72 on "3" seems pretty poor.

When I used a T-Mob dongle when my landline was down was far better.

Tony

I am pretty sure that the "3" contract specifically says that you cannot use the internet access for driving other computers etc.

Tony

So why are they selling Android phones with WIFI HOTSPOT installed

This gives up to 2 laptops wireless internet via the phone, another stark difference from this to the Iphone is that not all phone companies allow tethering with the iphone and some even charge you for the pleasure even though your using your allowance that you could be using on the phone anyway, and I have also read that Orange Iphone dont allow tethering full stop.

"Android is the future"

My phone can call all over the world.

But I cannot afford the charges the provider would charge!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back