what is a good price for skips?

S

snadge

We are thinking about getting a skip to put all the rubbish from kitchen re build into it, but what IS a good price? will a removal service be better?

any other advice would be great

thanks

Sponsored Links
it will be cheaper if you can get it on your land rather than the road.
firstly because you won't need the tax sorry licence and second less likely to be filled by all the scroats in your street!!

less likely to be filled by all the scroats in your street!!

hahahaha

yeah cheapest price we got was £130 cash ... and keep it for weeks too... unfortunately we cant afford that sort of money - we are on shoestring and doing kitchen month-by-month - gunna see if cheaper getn council to take it away or hiring a van and taking it down to skip which is half a mile away, I cant drive and she wont drive a van... so may ask the neighbour if he will drive it down for back hander haha

Burn the wood bits in the garden

Leave the metal bits out for the scrap man

Put the plastic bits in with the pop bottles and takeaway trays for the binmen to collect

You need to read up on this "building on a shoestring" lark :p

Sponsored Links
Burn the wood bits in the garden

Leave the metal bits out for the scrap man

Put the plastic bits in with the pop bottles and takeaway trays for the binmen to collect

You need to read up on this "building on a shoestring" lark :p

i know...

theres LOTS of wood though - an entire kitchen, old cupboard, couple of units - wrecked plasterboard - it would be a huge bonfire and i dont think it will go down well with neighbours or council..

When you get your circular saw for the floor, cut it all up into 4" strips. Then you can bag it up and store it in the garden until bonfire night. Give it away as free firewood if you can.

Or get an incinerator (dustbin with holes type) and burn a binfull every night after dark. Will soon be gone.

If the door hinges are still good, and you are buying the new kitchen as components, then re-use them. Good blum style ones last for years and years.

Filter some of the general waste into your landfill bin, something like 1 tesco bag per 2 week pickup.. should only take about 5-10 years or so to dump the lot depending on kitchen size..

ive decided to go with my plan - which is to continue to flatpack and fill the shed then when done hire a van for the day and take it all down to the landfill which is half a mile away - and get someone to drive it... thats best and cheapest way... what about £30 to hire a van for 1 day?

thanks for help

You might as go down to the tip and collar someone with a van and ask if they wanna earn some beer money.

Driving a van will probably mean you'll be subject to trade waste charges. Got any mates with an estate?

You might as go down to the tip and collar someone with a van and ask if they wanna earn some beer money.

Driving a van will probably mean you'll be subject to trade waste charges. Got any mates with an estate?

I wasnt aware we'll be charged for tipping the stuff... we havent been charged before but that wasnt in a transit van just the car

My local tip / recycling centre won't let me in with a van. I got rid of 4 old double glazed windows from my old conservatory and had to hire a van because they would not fit in my car. I had to argue for almost an hour and speak to two managers at the council offices over the phone before they would let me offload. The ironic thing is that I had a skip at home anyway for the building waste - the only reason I hired a van and took them to the tip is because they were perfectly good windows and at that site they store them all at the side for others to come and take.

Unfortunately since then I just bulk all waste in the garage and skip it if it won't fit in the car, even when it could be of use to someone, because it is not worth the hassle. I do let people take from the skips though, and always stack reusable items carefully at the front for people to take. I have the number of a local scrap man who always comes and takes my metal and old appliances, and the local builders merchant picks up any pallets I leave near the road.

Round here though a 6yd skip costs £220, so the more I can offload to others the better.

I wasnt aware we'll be charged for tipping the stuff... we havent been charged before but that wasnt in a transit van just the car

getting rid of waste is expensive - £80 per tonne, minmum 1 tonne (i kid you not) so i use a lot of skips.

consider getting the units out intact and advertise on freecycle? if they aren't completely shagged then someone may want them for a workshop etc.

i can still get in my council tip with my van for free, likely as they want to discourage fly tipping, but the estate car idea is favourite - or ring the site and get the dope from the boys that run it.

its all flatpacked and done in... thing is im NOT trade though im Private so shouldnt cost me should it? I can understand tradesmen trying to do it everyday with loads of waste - i will look into it, weve seen transit vans down there before and just driving in then out am sure

Like I said, they may accept van stuff but charge them. Or they might be mates with the peeps that work there.

Just saying "I'm not trade" won't necessaily cut it if you're in a van.

Like I said, they may accept van stuff but charge them. Or they might be mates with the peeps that work there.

Just saying "I'm not trade" won't necessaily cut it if you're in a van.

thanks for the heads up anyway - i will go down tomorrow and speak to them, cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back