What is a good reading on your energy monitor?

I have never worked out why with low voltage kettles you don't have insulation to keep the water hot?
Because it would be an unnecessary feature.

A kettle is for boiling water, and the correct way to use it is to boil what you need, not more than you need, so when used correctly there is never any water to keep warm.

With extra low voltage they do put insulation around the cup boiler.
Insulation to reduce losses whilst heating is a different matter.

I always fill to the mark as so often when I have not I have been short of water,
Please provide a logical explanation of why putting the amount of water you need into a kettle will leave you short of what you need.

or some one has switched it on without checking. So to save element always left full.
No - stupidly unthinking carelessness is not a reason to implement a deliberately wasteful method of operation. The alternative of using it correctly so that there is never any water left in the kettle means that people will soon learn that if they want water they need to put some in the kettle. Anyone who is genuinely incapable of doing that should never be allowed to use a kitchen unsupervised in the first place.

The gauge in the kettle is rather poor, unless you shake the kettle to remove any beads of water in the gauge it can look full when really empty.
Please provide a logical explanation of why people cannot detect the presence, or lack, of a kg or more of water in something they are holding.

Also please note that the alternative of using it correctly so that there is never any water left in the kettle means that the kettle is always empty when someone comes to use it, so the gauge is irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
We do tend to use words in the main not required. "Cat Sat Mat" says nearly the same as "The cat sat on the mat" but if you have ever tried to follow a Chinese lecturer like I had to you quickly realise why we need the extra words. One to one I could understand her, but as a lecture just did not work.

One lad cured it all, he said his mother tongue was Welsh and his English was not good enough to follow her can he have a translator please. Since Welsh University that was his right, so we were given a Russian lecturer instead that was much better.

I remember working on one job where my mate when challenged why have you done that? Replied I blame the parents, but omitted telling them I was also his dad. And yes my dad was an engineer and his dad was an engineer right back to George Palmer the brother of Sir Charles Mark Palmer who started the Palmer's ship yard in Jarrow. And yes from a little boy my dad showed me how to run two 6 volt lamps off the lines of my train set and how the bulbs had to be same wattage. I would guess I was around 5 years old when I started my electrical training.

Same with my son, much to the annoyance of his school teachers, and by 14 years old he had an amateur radio licence. And laughed at the teacher at school when asked the question there are two types of transistor what are they, and he answered bi-polar and field effect to which the teacher said he was wrong, it was NPN and PNP.

Some times I think kettle design has gone back wards. As a lad the wall mounted kettle with whistle was popular, easy to see how much water was in them, and spill proof, but as we move to a free standing kettle it's a compromise, large base
Morphy-Richards-Accents-Toaster-Retro-Kettle-Set.jpg
and kettle is stable but hard to judge one cup of water, and a glass kettle
glass-kettle.jpg
not as stable, but easy to see how much water is in it. The one problem over the years is to find a kettle that pours well. We don't tend to test pouring in the shop so instead we aim for a make we know. We know the old Russell Hobs kettle we had in 1970 lasted 25 years, poured well, so we buy another Russell Hobs kettle however things change, it does not pour well the lid is too well sealed so the water boiling pushes the water out of the spout. The insulated kettle
cf599-magimix-kettle-thermosystem-1.8-litre-polished.jpg
would seem to be the answer, but £80 compared with £8 for this
686-0813_PI_TPS2498627
one how much water can you boil for £72?

Easy way to boil the right amount if the gauge isn't accurate is to fill your cup to the required level and pour it into the kettle, which is what I do. You already have the cup out.... Maybe give just a tad extra to compensate for the small amount of water which you can't drain out of the kettle completely if you're that precise with the level required in your cup.

Sponsored Links
Easy way to boil the right amount if the gauge isn't accurate is to fill your cup to the required level and pour it into the kettle, which is what I do. You already have the cup out.... Maybe give just a tad extra to compensate for the small amount of water which you can't drain out of the kettle completely if you're that precise with the level required in your cup.
And do you know, that if you look in the kettle when you do that, then before long you get pretty good at knowing how much to put in without having to measure.

And then enough more to cover the element...

See buying a kettle with an exposed element is the first mistake. (Well it is in a hard water area like Suffolk). You can easily de-scale a kettle with a hidden element.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back