What is a good reading on your energy monitor?

But although one can plug the washing machine in and work out how much it costs to wash 4 pairs of overalls what is the point? Your not going to go to a shop with 4 pairs of overalls and say can I see a demo on how much it costs to wash these in the new super machine.

with modern machines its possible that a half load will only use just over half the energy water and powder
so it could be handy if you only want to wash a few coloured items something you may avoid if you think a half load will cost as much or nearly as much as a full load

Sponsored Links
I find my remote meter useful to remind me I've something running that shouldn't be - typically have left the fan heater on in my workshop. So in that respect knowing what loads to expect is a useful guide.

I was interested to see that a 90C hottest cotton wash uses twice as much electricity as the 60C hot cotton wash (that's with a hot-fill machine). I know it's in the manual for the washer but who reads them?

Tumble driers use a vast amount, unlike washing lines.

I was interested to see that a 90C hottest cotton wash uses twice as much electricity as the 60C hot cotton wash (that's with a hot-fill machine). I know it's in the manual for the washer but who reads them?

Tumble driers use a vast amount, unlike washing lines.

my tumble cost about 20p for a full load mainly because my washing machine has a 1600 spin speed

Sponsored Links
I find my remote meter useful to remind me I've something running that shouldn't be - typically have left the fan heater on in my workshop. So in that respect knowing what loads to expect is a useful guide.
same here.

In my house I have a thing in a box outside and if I am using power the wheel behind the plastic turns around. There is no real need for second meter to tell me the same thing. OK it is not looked at much, but neither is the second one. In fact I don't have a clue when the batteries failed with the current transformer as I never bothered to look at it.

As to the washing machine yes it weighs the load, and it has jets of water which are claimed to reduce the water required etc etc. But how do you measure how clean things are? I watch an advert which shows some poor lad, who I am sure gets a lot of rib from his mates, where his mother has washed out the khaki and made the uniform non uniform, and instead look white, clearly over cleaned.

Same with fridge and freezer, there may be a case for not being so cold, but we all go by three temperatures 12°C for wine not a clue why, 5°C for fridge I will guess any colder and likely ice will form some where, and -18°C for freezer, which is freezing point of brine. No point knowing it is using SAEc or a percentage of the SAEc in general the unit fails to maintain temperature before it becomes economical to replace it so a simple thermometer is far more useful.

Yes I am one of those sad people who went around measuring everything in the house. But it did not change what we used so rather a waste of time.

Your comments practically sum up smart meters as well Eric.

"Get Gaz and Leccy under control - know how much you're using"

Smart meter or no smart meter - unless you turn things off you're going to use the "Gaz" and "Leccy"

Your meters already tell you how much you're using if you have just 1/4 of a brain.

The trouble is that people don't.

Recently (or so it seems) there has been a plethora of products available to replace kettles, which claim to save you money by only boiling the cupful of water you need. They can only save money for the idiots to whom it does not occur to only put a cupful of water into a kettle. For those people, who don't have the brains to not boil 5x as much water as they need, they do save money. For people with brains which work they won't.

The trouble is that people don't.

Recently (or so it seems) there has been a plethora of products available to replace kettles, which claim to save you money by only boiling the cupful of water you need. They can only save money for the idiots to whom it does not occur to only put a cupful of water into a kettle. For those people, who don't have the brains to not boil 5x as much water as they need, they do save money. For people with brains which work they won't.

what makes sense to you or i may not make sense to others
people assume bad grammer bad spelling and punctuation is lazyiness
people assume bad control off money is always feckless
i find the the control off money and figures easy and enjoyable
i find grammer and spelling impossibly hard and bewildering
i learn't years ago we all have valuable skills and are all off equal value given a chance
if someone is doing there best its not my place to demean
there is no such thing as a "stupid person" just someone who has a different skill set
filling a kettle to full would be learn't from parents or partners as we assume they know best
we should not condemn people for learning to there ability without questioning there elders they respect :D(y)

Last edited:
I have never worked out why with low voltage kettles you don't have insulation to keep the water hot? With extra low voltage they do put insulation around the cup boiler. I always fill to the mark as so often when I have not I have been short of water, or some one has switched it on without checking. So to save element always left full.

The gauge in the kettle is rather poor, unless you shake the kettle to remove any beads of water in the gauge it can look full when really empty.

The same of course with pans on the cooker why are they not insulated? The stand alone pressure cooker is insulated so uses less power than the one for the hob or micro wave. It's not just power to get it hot, it is the power to keep it hot. The auto boil and then simmer function does help on the hob, but there is still room for improvement.

The problem I find is my wife has got use to using induction hob, and stand alone equipment with everything built in. Then we go on holiday in caravan which has non of the safety features, and she forgets. She expects thing to auto switch them selves off. She has that attitude if it's dangerous it should not be allowed.

Obviously.
Perhaps it is.
I recently explained to someone that there is only one 'f' in 'of' but they seem to have not bothered to learn - laziness?
people assume bad control off money is always feckless
Do they? I think that is only if they didn't have much money.
i find the the control off money and figures easy and enjoyable
Ok. Good for you.
i find grammer and spelling impossibly hard and bewildering
Ok. Have you given up trying to learn?
What do you do about all the red underlining?
i learn't years ago we all have valuable skills and are all off equal value given a chance
Not really true, is it?
if someone is doing there best its not my place to demean
Surely dependent on the circumstances.
there is no such thing as a "stupid person" just someone who has a different skill set
Patently untrue.
Are you thinking of the often quoted "There is no such thing as a stupid question"?
filling a kettle to full would be learn't from parents or partners as we assume they know best
Progress is impossible, then?

Does this understanding apply to those with intolerant parents?

we should not condemn people for learning to there ability without questioning there elders they respect :D(y)
Why not? Blind obedience of the masses has had terrible consequences.

Independent thought leads to enlightenment.

With the number of tools available to help with those these days then there must be an element of laziness involved - logic allows no other conclusion. Your post contains 5 spelling mistakes highlighted by the checker built into my browser - why didn't you see them?

And is the rule about using 'I' as the personal pronoun not 'i' really impossibly hard and bewildering for you? What about the rules of starting sentences with an upper case letter and ending them with a punctuation mark? Do they genuinely make so little sense to you that you cannot remember them?

Do not be so utterly ridiculous.

It is impossible for anyone who actually takes the trouble to think about it to think that they need to boil 5x as much water as they need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back