What is a ping, how does it work? (Colvid)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was advised to down load an app, which I did, and I know when I visit a pub or restaurant often I get a text message asking me how good was the service, so clearly there is some system to auto register my phone has gone into a pub or restaurant, but it does not seem to ask when I just drive past, so guess there must be some time element, is this long enough to register when visiting local shop?

I see one can manually check into a venue, does that mean you don't need to give venue your name and address? It seems to say it is all automatic, noticing and logging near by user. So I assume I do nothing unless I catch Colvid19?

I don't drive so stay local, and in last 15 months I have visited a pub once, and sat outside, so never have I done anything but read the app instructions. So how does it work?

Sponsored Links
Bluetooth as a proximity and duration detection to other users.
I believe (but not checked) GPS to get general location.
In a bit more detail from NHS website to show how the Bluetooth works.....

"When you download the app to your phone, a code will be generated which will identify the app’s existence on your device.

This code changes every day (a ‘diagnosis key’), so that it cannot be associated with you or your phone.

Your app produces another randomly generated code every 15 minutes (known as ‘the broadcast code’). The broadcast code is collected by the app installed on other users’ phones when you come into close contact with them and is held there for 14 days. There is no way for another user to tell that a broadcast code collected from your phone relates to you or your phone.

Digital contact tracing is providing by Apple and Google, who use the term “Exposure Notification” to “Exposure Logging” to describe:

• the sharing of these codes between app users
  • retaining those details for a period where you may be at risk of infection
  • when appropriate, ensuring that a notification can be generated by the app
"

Note that I believe that Bluetooth Also used to calculate duration to next exit on Motorway gantry signs.

First gantry makes note of your Bluetooth signature, second gantry makes note of time taken for you to get to it. It then shows to following cars your (or rather average of many) time to travel that distance.

I was advised to down load an app, which I did, and I know when I visit a pub or restaurant often I get a text message asking me how good was the service,
You get that anyway because your phone knows where you are.

It's nothing to do with covid.

Sponsored Links
Note that I believe that Bluetooth Also used to calculate duration to next exit on Motorway gantry signs.

First gantry makes note of your Bluetooth signature, second gantry makes note of time taken for you to get to it. It then shows to following cars your (or rather average of many) time to travel that distance.
Or you could use numberplate recognition.

Back