What is a Soundblaster ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reason I ask is that I have recently had someone rebuild my computer and all is peachy, except the speakers have gone all quiet. Everythings up to the max, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried all sorts but they're still quiet. Sound Device is a Realtek AC97, if that means anything to anyone.

Someone has suggested a Sounblaster card, which I have seen on eBay. Now without wishing to sound stupid, but is it just a case of buying one of these, stick it in a spare slot, let Windows detect it and install some driver, or is there more to it than that ?

Sponsored Links
Hi

It sounds like you have the sound built into the motherboard, these can be fine, I would look into checking what driver files and can these be updated.

Otherwise you can buy a simple PCI or other type of sound card, and pop it in, all for around ten quid.

HTH
Alan

That's the sort of thing. I've tried all the updates I can find and had no luck, which is why I'm jumping ship and wanting to stick a new card in.

Thanks.

i have a soundblaster card in each om my pc's they work well, and yes you do just plug them in and then install drivers

Sponsored Links
I've got onboard sound, works OK, difficult to connect it wrong ;) but it isn't amplified. You can use headphones with it to check it's working, it won't drive speakers on its own (I now use a TFT with built in sound because I don't like speakers on the desk).

Or did you mean that the sound worked until someone rebuilt your PC? Did you ask him why the sound isn't working now? I won't ask if you've checked that the speakers are plugged into the correct socket ;)

My computer had onboard sound which drove the speakers OK, but we changed the motherboard and that now has the quiet speaker. Reading through the motherboard notes it does recommend amplified speakers, so I guess its just different to before.

Think I'll go for the sound card, as it sounds like less messing about than getting amplified speakers.

The onboard sound should work fine through your speakers.

Did you load the audio drivers (that would have come with your new motherboard) ?

Are there any problems listed in device manager?

Is the sound muted?

Are the speakers connected correctly?

Are the speakers functioning?

If you have just bought the motherboard, then to buy another soundcard is (IMHO) a waste of money.

Yep - Loaded up the drivers with the motherboard and the sound is quiet. If I update the driver using Updates, the sound goes off and I get device failed to start (error 10) or something like that (not at relevant computer at the moment). I only get it back by rolling back the driver to the disc version again, when it says device functioning properly.

Speakers OK, and plugged in right. Why would a soundcard not solve the problem ? (Asked out of ignorance, rather than thinking I know better, 'cos I don't) - I've only come up with the plan becasue I found someone on another forum who had had the same problem with the same on-board sound and jumped ship in the same way.

Actually, I mis-read your post :oops:

When you said quiet, I actually read that as meaning you had no sound. I guess you have already looked at the audio controls (in control panel) and ensured that they are ok.

Another sound card would probably solve this issue, but then, a new set of amplified speakers may be just as cheap (even if you have to go to PC world... Did I really say that... I deny all knowledge :D )

Sponsored Links
Back