Audio problem: no audio output device installed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has asked me if I can get help for a sound problem she is having with her laptop; Acer Aspire 5630, OS Windows Vista, 32bit.

Recently, the sound has gone from her lappy and she doesn't know why.

When the curser is held over the speaker (which has a Red Cross next to it) in the system tray a warning comes up 'no audio output device installed'

In Device Manager there is NO listing for Sound, video and game controllers. How do I go about reinstalling that?

I've Googled but can't find anything that gives the answer. But I did see someone's answer saying it could be a fault with a MS update.
All help appreciated,
Thanks for lookin'.

Sponsored Links
PM,
Drivers don't just fall out of computers and go missing, so either she has clicked on something to disable them or some malicious software has disabled them.

First thing to do would be try a system restore to the last time she can remember the sound working.
If that restores the sound system, then run full scans with each security software program she has got installed.
If that turns up nothing then it may have been 'finger trouble'.

dave

Sometimes they do, windows is good like that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both for your help.
Here are a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean:

As you can see in first image, Device Manager, there is any Sound, video and game controllers category.

Also when I click on the speaker in the system tray I get the second image saying the same.

BTW, I do agree that it needs a good A.V. Scan but I'll have to tell her that she'll need something a bit more powerful than what she' got.
I had downloaded the Realtek audio driver but it couldn't locate a place to install.

Wonder if it has had a knock and the sound card has become dislodged, causing the lack of sound card showing in Device Manager.

Do you feel capable of having a look inside, if not it will have to be a computer shop job.

There are dozens of posts on the web with exactly the same problem and not a single confirmed solution for the lack of entry in Device Manager of the sound, video and games controller.

dave

I used to have a duff MB thats integrated nic never showed up until the computer was warm. Sounds like a hardware issue if its like this.

One way to confirm this for sure, burn a livecd of linux (mint is a good option) boot the computer up with this and if the sound aint working its def not the software. However if it is its windows.

Thanks again.
With it being a laptop isn't the Sound card is integrated? I don't have problem going inside the case provided it is replaceable, but I think that it is too big a job for my limited knowledge
I have considered telling her to get a PCMCIA sound card, but I don't want her to spend cash she doesn't have unnecessarily.
I'm going to clear it with her to do a reformat and a clean install, maybe that will fix it.
Having read quite a number of people with similar problems, one adviser did say that he'd heard that MS updates could be the cause of the Audio category being removed and I did see that the laptop had two Restore points, both were MS updates and the dates coincide when the problem started.

Before doing anything drastic try the linux option it'll confirm whether its a hardware or software issue.

How old is the laptop.

Thanks for your help Daozen, I don't know how old it is but it's in good nick physically.
I'm going to give it back and if she wants me to reformat then I'll do it. But I'll give your suggestion of Linux a try first.
Your help is appreciated.
Piper

Its really simple, I normally recommend Ubuntu but Mint comes with all the propriety software you'll need. You just download the .iso file and burn it to a CD.

The reason why it'll rule out a hardware fault is simply because it runs from the cd without using any software installed on the harddrive. As such if the sound issue is still there its a hardware issue however if the sound works windows is your problem.

Its really simple, I normally recommend Ubuntu but Mint comes with all the propriety software you'll need. You just download the .iso file and burn it to a CD.

The reason why it'll rule out a hardware fault is simply because it runs from the cd without using any software installed on the harddrive. As such if the sound issue is still there its a hardware issue however if the sound works windows is your problem.

This is a very good idea.

If your going to the extent of a Vista rebuild id get her to spend a little and get Win7. Vista is horrible and terrible and the source of much misery.

Thanks to all and please accept my apologies for not replying before now.
I give the laptop back to her so maybe she got it sorted by someone who does it for a living. I think it's the best way to go.
If I had of made a mess of it I would have felt obliged to get it fixed by a pro.
Thanks again,
Piper

Sponsored Links
Back