What is Howdens Prime Worktop Oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have a kitchen worktop that needs to be re-oiled. It was originally oiled with Howdens' Prime Worktop Oil, which has lasted well.

I'd like to re-oil it with the same, but since Howdens are refusing to sell to me as I'm not trade, and are also quite grumpy and refusing to discuss their products with me, does anyone happen to know what type of oil this is? Danish? Tung? Something else?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You would be better with Osmo top oil, excellent product and easily available. Can't see Howdens discussing the make up of their product , doubt they have a clue about it.

But to use the Osmo top oil, he'll need to rub the worktop down with 120 grade sandpaper, and then use the top oil, as the Howdens oil has sealed the worktop and the Osmo top oil won't sink in. Daft thing about Howdens, is they sell the Top oil at the same price as Osmo, but then add VAT (okay, Osmo add carriage) but I suspect you're right, they don't know what's in their oil. I'll read the label next time I'm in there, but I suspect it'll be Danish or Teak oil.

Odd thing about Your branch not dealing with non trade; most other branches seem to turn a blnd eye, and will sign almost anyone up as a trade customer.

Sponsored Links
He should be able to go over the existing oil with Teak or Danish oil, as they're both similar in nature.

… I suspect you're right, they don't know what's in their oil. I'll read the label next time I'm in there, but I suspect it'll be Danish or Teak oil.

I did have half a tin of the old stuff left (which had gone hard) and it didn't say anywhere on the label what sort of oil it was.

He should be able to go over the existing oil with Teak or Danish oil, as they're both similar in nature.

Will Teak or Danish work on top of the old oil regardless of its compositon?

I don't mind doing a little sanding BTW.

Jim

Starting to wonder if Hard Wax Oil might be a good solution.

Certianly considering it for my kitchen floor now the varnish is starting to look a little tired.

I haven't used the hard wax oil yet, but I've been investigating it for my next project, and it's looking promising. It's supposed to last a lot longer than danish oil, and doesn't need reoiling until it wears, whereas danish oil needs doing every 3 months, but will get a much risher colour the longer you use it.

I'd do a small test on the worktop to see if there are any issues, but knowing Howdens, I can't see them using boiled linseed oil for their prime worktop oil.

Good news for anyone looking to purchase 'Howdens Prime Worktop Oil WRK3595' the identical product is available online. The product is called 'Blackfriar Kitchen Wood Oil' Clear Satin Finish. I found it when I did a google search of the information on the Howdens product, I reckoned someone must make it for them. My search resulted in the Blackfriar product, which incidentally is in the exact same container but with a different label. I ordered the Blackfriar kitchen wood oil through Amazon next day delivery and yes it's exactly the same. Hope this is helpful for people like me who don't have an account with Howden!

No, it's great on brickwork, but turns it very dark so would completely transform the worktops, but I beleive it stays sticky when put on wood, whereas ordinary linseed oil will soak in.

I use it on outdoor joinery. It dries faster than raw.

If you leave it in puddles, they go sticky, so the rule is to apply as much as will soak in, then rub off any excess with a rag after 10-20 minutes.

I have had it go gummy before I understood the importance of that, thinking the pools would sink in and leaving it in the hot sun. The next day it was gum.

Rag has to be wetted with water before disposal, or used as a firelighter, as it can spontaneously combust if screwed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back