what is kick back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly is kick back, i.e. with an angle grinder?
I've sort of had it when using a dremel I think but it's easy to control

Sponsored Links
im sure someone will give a more technical explanation, but its basically when the blade catches something its cutting. At that point its spinning fast so the momentum kicks it away from the workpiece. With a dremmel yes its easy to control, with an angle grinder its a little harder! its always best to adopt a balanced stance when using them so you can deal with it if it happens. Now kickback from a chainsaw thats scarey!

Angle grinders are quite a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

A few years ago a workmate of mine was fettling the bottom of some oil tanks with a fibre disc. On the bottom of the tanks were some square tubes for supports. The fibre disc jammed in a gap between the tank and tube, the grinder then kicked back towards him.
Luckily it was winter and he was wearing a boiler suit/jumper/shirt. The disc ripped through his boiler suit, what saved him were the wool fibres of his jumper wrapping themselves around the disc/shaft, but even so his chest was cut open in 2 places. Dread to think what would have happened if he had just been wearing a T shirt.... :eek:

The other problem is, that instinctively you hang on to the tool, which includes your trigger finger. I,m sure you have all seen someone using a heavy drill where the drill jams, and they hang on..... :LOL: When you obviously should just let go of the trigger.

More information on the use/pitfalls of these tools should be included, apart from the standard....wear gloves/safety glasses etc.

trazor said:
Angle grinders are quite a dangerous tool in the wrong
More information on the use/pitfalls of these tools should be included, apart from the standard....wear gloves/safety glasses etc.

nah any idiot can buy them in b&q so they must be safe to use..........

couldnt agree more trazor

Sponsored Links
one of my old chums came close to losing his lower arm when grinding a hole in a wall for a window.

he had the bits stiched together but has loss of sensation and of movement in his hand, and an impressive scar.

In many jobs that would stop you earning a living :(

even on a 4 1/2 " grinder?
I read somewhere that it's the fact that people use them for cutting that causes most problems.
Don't some of the new Bosch ones have ant kickback?

The anti kickback feature on some angle grinders is only for when you switch on, its a soft start feature which prevents the initial kick. Nothing can prevent kickback from a "jam".

It does not matter wether you are using fibre discs or hard discs, kickbacks still occur.

Hard discs/cutting discs are slightly safer than the fibre discs as they cut, on all 3 edges..bottom/edge/top, so they do not jam so easily.
Fibre discs on the other hand only cut on one face, so when they start to get trapped they do not cut, but jam.

Remember these grinders run at something like 10.000/12,000 rpm. When you stop them, instantly, there is a great deal of force involved.

My workmate in the post above, was using a 5" angle grinder/fibre disc, but he was holding the tank with his left hand to steady it, thus holding the body of the grinder in his right hand..... :eek:

Always use the extra supplied handle, so you hold the grinder with both hands. If what you are fettling/cutting moves, clamp it....

Most problems with grinders will be due to improper usage.

A perfectly safe tool when used properly.

If something moves as you cut through, and pinches the blade, you will get a kick. Think how things will move as you cut through, and reposition to the other side where possible. Or leave a little bit hanging on so it doesnt close up while your still cutting. Or cut from top to bottom, or which ever.
Especially important when cutting deep.
Dont be tempted to try and cut anything that moves easily, it will move and the grinder will pull it in.

Wire brushes will give some hassle too, if you catch an edge on the wrong side of the wheel it will bite.

If you use the wrong type of disc, you may get kickback, or a disc shatter.

And you can also get kickback on a circular saw if the workpiece jams up on the blade which can be a bit frightening too!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back