What is lock snapping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just heard about this today and not sure what lock snapping is...I have a upvc door which I think is a good strong lock, but this ex-burgular states he would not bother picking them and he would just snap them...it is saying that in dec 27% of burgularies accounted for this method and it takes between 50 secs and 2 mins....maybe a locksmith on here can tell what to upgrade to...........
see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17075027

Sponsored Links
You can get one that snaps off but is still viable. Plenty in Google. Get a kite marked one that is also resistant to bumping.

Sponsored Links
The new locks are dampened to make it harder to bump. The pins don't fly up so far.

If a burglar really wants to get in, he will. Mate round the corner had his motorbike nicked from the garage - thieves broke in through the roof. School I one worked in had a load of IT gear stolen - the room had a heavy duty metal door, so they broke though the brickwork adjacent to it.

Jeez.......that is so easy to gain access..and I thought mine was so secure!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the side door you have to watch. Never seen a front door broken into yet (in 25 years) of fitting alarms.

The new locks are dampened to make it harder to bump. The pins don't fly up so far.

The new locks have "overlift" pins so it is virtually impossible to bump as before.

How do they work?

Do you know how a "shear line" works?
Do you know what pins are used in the upper and lower chambers to cause a key to operate?
If so then imagine the shear line and you chamber the pins to "cross" in a bumping method.
Generally better done on the bench than a bought cylinder as you have control of the cuts so to speak.

Jeez.......that is so easy to gain access..and I thought mine was so secure!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the side door you have to watch. Never seen a front door broken into yet (in 25 years) of fitting alarms.

You dont get about much do you :mrgreen:
Never seen a small block of flats or a communal building broken into?

Then again you probably never contracted to local councils and housing associations.

Why haven't electronic locks (like car doors) been invented? These would obviate such a potential weakspot

I think I get that. I'll have a google.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back