What is max height a fire alarm panel can be installed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician is fitting a fire alarm panel sometime today. Is there a requirement for him to fit it at a max height in terms of health and safety and disability? I've checked manual and rung supplier who say they have no recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Usually chest to eye height, they have to be seen remember.
You can get a zone repeater unit if it has to be hidden away, or disabled access is required.

"It should be at a height where it is easilly accessable and in a prominent position in the building. Ideally its front panel indicators at eye level. Typical locations for the panel are in the entrance hallway at ground floor level (the first and most obvious contact for emergency services) or a permanently manned security office"

From one major manufacturer.

Have seen them at silly heights though and the fire officer has not blinked an eyelid, but not good for weekly/Monthly testing as it will be deemed too much of an effort by the end user. And a pain to service.

All mine are at mid chest to eye, and that is because that is where I fit them, end off :D ( Unless of course with a repeater unit installed!)

You can get smaller panels now ( just remember thay have to have battery back up) or ones that can be fitted flush (Almost). And they look good now days too.

Sponsored Links
I cant find reference to a maximum height for panels in the BS but I have found them in some places all over the place.

But im sure the employer of the resposible person has an obligation to ensure they can carry out their daily tasks regardless of ability.

But as long as the users of the building can hear or see the alarm is activated and know the proceedure that should be sufficient.

Also if the panel is slightly high usually the zone indication is easier to see from a distance and a zone chart could be lower perhaps. (doesnt help with controls though)

I think it just takes a bit of common sense from the customer and the installer at the time it is fitted.

You mention chest to eye height. But what about someone who is very small or in a wheel chair?

And did you not also read what else I said?

You can get a zone repeater unit if it has to be hidden away, or disabled access is required.

If your going to ask a question at least read the answer provided fully.

There is no specific height for the panel.

Manual call points should be 1.4m from ffl to centre of unit +/- 20mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back