What is new?

Sponsored Links
Oh I wonder! There has been some problems where devices using mineral insulation on heating as because you can't fully seal a mineral cable on a heating element and they are hygroscopic so will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Because of changes in the rules for wires buried less than 50mm in a wall many supply cables within a house now have 30ma RCD’s and when an oven or hotplate has been left unused for some time when first switched on it can leak more than the 15ma that the RCD is designed not to trip at. They can trip anywhere between 15 and 30ma and be within speck.

The Ali-tube cable designed to be used within stud walls has not been available in the larger sizes and also many cooker outlets have 13A sockets combined so although except where required because of TT earthing an oven does not need RCD protection often the cable supplying them does.

Could this be a method to avoid the problems with oven etc. tripping RCD’s? I hope not but I suppose so long as there is no way to touch the element it could be done.

Will be interesting to see what others have to say!

I wondered how this applied...
...Please note: due to new UK standards this part no longer has an earth connector...
-p-

I wondered how this applied...
...Please note: due to new UK standards this part no longer has an earth connector...
-p-

To stop it tripping an RCD. As eric tried to explain above.

Elements have insulation that absorbs moisture, therefore when left unused for some time, will become leaky. By omitting the earth, it will only leak to neutral and eventually dry up, thus not tripping an RCD.

The new UK regulation is that most circuits now must be RCD protected, including the cooker.

As good a guess as any Eric :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Sounds dodgy to me.
The elements are usually bolted to the chassis of the oven anyway so theres an indirect earth path through them.
Then there's the risk - if they are not earthed - that someone can come into contact with the element (by touching it with a metal implement) and if they are leaking can result in an electric shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back