What is non standard construction and how to standardise it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked at a bungalow which is non standard construction (and cheap because of it, and cash only). Its basically cast concrete panels for walls. No insulation. The rest of the building is pretty standard. Below dpc is brickwork and the the roof is pitched and tiled. What would it take to make it standard? Obviously it needs some insulation adding and the best way I can think of is exterior celotex then a render but while that would make the house 'work' it'll still be a bit non standard. Would and exterior skin of brick/block to make a cavity wall be any better or do the concrete panels need replacing with block standardise it?

Sponsored Links
Well a standard construction is solid or cavity brick or block walls, optionally rendered. So by definition you'd have to prop and rebuild all the walls.
In that case it would be surely cheaper to just demolish and rebuild to your specifications.
To what end do you want to make it standard though, is it structurally sound? Or do you want to do it up and sell on to someone who needs a mortgage?

Is it a Woolaway bungalow? To change from non-traditional to traditional you can prop the roof and demolish all the external walls and rebuild in cavity walls. To be honest most Woolaways get demolished and a new build put on the plot.

Sponsored Links
I think it is woolaway. Longer term knocking it down is probably the way to go as its a nice plot. I suppose I'm considering shorter term options as it needs insulation so if there was anything I could do at this stage to be heading in the right direction. If it is to be knocked down then I guess a cheap job now makes sense.

Spend the money on heating it and save for the rebuild.
It'll be cheaper to throw on an extra jumper or two than insulate to then rebuild.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back