Non-Standard Construction... flats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys :)

A little question if I may... We’re seriously considering buying a house which is non standard construction, concrete, and are exploring the subject and information...

But in doing so, and reading the warnings of ‘concrete cancer’ and people often being unable to get mortgages on such properties, it has occurred to us that just about every block of flats we can think of would also appear to fall within the classification, as they aren’t built of bricks nor have tiled roofs...

Have we misunderstood something? Because it seems it’s safe to use concrete to build multi storey car parks and enormous tower blocks, but use it to build a two storey house or even a bungalow and everyone flips out! What’s the difference? :?:

thanks

Sponsored Links
Have we misunderstood something? Because it seems it’s safe to use concrete to build multi storey car parks and enormous tower blocks, but use it to build a two storey house or even a bungalow and everyone flips out! What’s the difference?

The difference is the type of construction. I think you are talking about an Airey House type? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_house

The were made in a factory, for quick assembly post war out on site - basically pre-fabs, only intended to be a temporary solution. They are very poorly insulated, suffer damp and the concrete panels deteriorate, a similar idea as used for a domestic garage. Many have been repaired by adding a second brick skin, but that is a major job. Mortgage companies will not touch them, unless they have had the second skin.

Thanks Harry

That all makes sense, and would be the end of the matter if mortgage companies only wouldn’t lend money secured on such properties as per your description.

My slight confusion is due to the term ‘non standard construction’ apparently referring to any and all properties that are not built of bricks or don’t have a tiled roof. And as such this would appear to apply just as readily to properties which are not intended to be only temporary, are not poorly insulated, do not suffer damp, and do not deteriorate, but are nonetheless ‘non standard construction’, ie. concrete, steel, glass, and a flat roof. :unsure:

I read for example that there are several different types of concrete houses from after the war, some deteriorate, some not. And yet all are classed as NSC and can be difficult to sell. Whilst concrete blocks of flats which are commonplace are apparently exempt from all of this...?

Maybe it’s a question of people only looking at one area and not joining the dots? (That is to say, the term NSC has been created with only the types of properties you describe in mind; post war and poorly made. But they failed in the definition to exclude flats which are a modern phenomenon and better built?) o_O

ps. Having said the above, I have just found my first mention of high rise flats being NSC. Though I don’t see any subsequent information on this point:

https://www.onlinemortgageadvisor.co.uk/property-types/non-standard-construction/

(Quote from above page:
’Non-standard’ construction covers a huge category in the property world. Basically, any building not made of brick and mortar would be described as non-standard, which could be anything from a rural cottage built out of clay, to a penthouse in a steel and concrete high rise.’)

Sponsored Links
You are probably reading too much [crap] about concrete cancer.

There are millions of homes built of concrete and they are not falling down. There are some that were designed or built incorrectly and they would have already been demolished or repaired by now.

The BRE has tested and reported on all the various systems and all the common faults are known. Your surveyor needs to find out the system build of the property, and then they can advise on any inherent or potential issues.

Some lenders don't lend on non-traditional buildings but many do.

Most non-traditional houses are mortgageable. The ones that aren't are on a list known as 'designated defective'. There are about 30 house types on the list out of hundreds and hundreds. Although many of these have since been repaired and are now mortgageable there are some that still have issues. I recently dealt with a semi-detached (Unity type ii) that had been repaired but the party wall had not been done. The mortgage company would not lend on it. So you do need to be careful.

Woody and Jeds

Thank you very much indeed. That’s extremely helpful, and encouraging.

We have remortgaged another property for the purchase so actually have the funds without needing to secure a mortgage on this property ourselves. And the cost of it has seemingly already taken into account the status. (So end of the world, the money we’d be saving covers the amount required to ‘fix’, if ever required.)

They say though, ‘forewarned is forearmed’, and indeed we don’t want any nasty surprises.

We have the viewing booked for tomorrow. And if all goes as planned we will indeed get a full++ survey of course.

It’s a funny balance though... The low cost means we can easily afford a decent sized place with a great garden etc., in a great location...

So I am reminded of two appropriate sayings: ‘If it seems too good to be true, it usually is’; and, ‘Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth’.

Thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back