What is "Secure VPN" and do I need it?

Something not mentioned above is that when you access, for example, your banking website, the traffic is encrypted. NO one can sniff it.

It is however possible for a dodgy free wifi access point to perform a "man in the middle" attack. They can pretend to be your bank when you type in the website address. They can redirect you to a fake bank site and ask for your log in details. A VPN might help in those cases, assuming that your VPN is trustworthy though.

Personally, I only use VPNs to access sites blocked in the UK, such as piratebay.

That said, although I haven't used Kodi for a while to "steal" movies, it I used it regularly, I would use a VPN (and then hope that they they wouldn't sell me out.

Pay for VPN access if you want to, but most people scammed on the internet are victims of phishing. A VPN will not help in such cases.

Sponsored Links
Free VPNs have to pay for themselves somehow and the only things they can sell are your data or adverts to you.
Or they could offer a perfectly honourable but performance-limited free service as a SIAS to tempt people to sign up for the chargeable one.

Some providers spend a portion of their marketing budget on providing a free service with a low cap, with the expectation that people will try it out then buy a larger cap.

Sponsored Links
Back