What is so wrong with this picture!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was called out earlier today, a lady pointed out that she was seeing a blue flash of light when she'd turn the appliance off at the switch, the appliance being a clothes iron in this case. At first, I thought this could be a case of changing the existing socket to a higher quality one to note for any differences...upon opening the face plate, the following was revealed!

Can anyone spot what on earth was so wrong about this socket!!!

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
well spotted dannyboi! no earth!!!
that was def a fault, but most imporant was the fact that this was the 2nd of two spurs coming off an original spur!!! the original spur wasnt even protected by a 13A fuse, it was linked direct to the ring main. so thats 3 spurs from the ring, and wait for it, here it is, all 3 spurs wired in 1.5mm cable!!! That cable up there is 1.5mm!!! I ripped everything out, used 2.5mm, protected all spurs with a 13A FCU and changed all sockets to crabtree doubles, and wey hey, no blue flashes of lightning or banging sounds upon disconnection!! wat an easy one i must say!

Yay :D

Do i win a prize?

Seriously though thats probably an all too common DIY bodge, glad to hear you put it right. Removed something similar myself a while back, some friends wanted me to remove the power in the garage and outhouses as they were having a new roof put on it, as part of the job new electrics were being installed. Power had been taken from a spur under the stairs for the central heating which fed a single socket with a double adaptor feeding two freezers which in turn fed a double socket with a washing machine and tumble dryer plugged into it. Oh and spurred off this in the roof space with choc blocks was the outhouse light, no fusing down or anything :eek: . All now removed and nice new wiring in place.

All the best
Dan

OK... another one for you. Customer complained of an unpleasant smell when showering. The clue is in the picture.....

DSC00379.jpg

F*** me what the hell happened to the neutral in that terminal block!!!
is that 2.5mm T&E??

It's 6mm. The shower is 9.5kw. It might have been that the neutral wasn't tightened up properly, but I recon it was only a matter of time having used the 6mm.

Mark1972 said:
OK... another one for you. Customer complained of an unpleasant smell when showering.

Customer didn't shower often enough? ;)

and then after ur relaxing shower, connect your haridryer to this socket!!!

safety10.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back