FIRST POST and Im scared !!!! LIVE/NEUTRAL reverse

P

phatp1p3

A couple of days ago I was helping with the cleaning and noticed that the side of the electric cooker was in need of a clean. I pulled it out (the cooker) and could smell what I can only describe as electrical burning. Because Im a complete nump I thought nothing of it !!! and when cleaned I slid the cooker back. Now the cooker and dryer are next to each other and I mean next to, there is just enough space to get them both in. As I was sliding the cooker back I saw in the bottom corner of the cooker at the rear and arc go between the cooker and dryer I shouted something like four foot snake! and immediatey switched the power to both off. There was damage to the casing of both appliances. I thought they must be too close together so removed a bit of skirting and pushed dryer right next to the wall re painted both surfaces with enamel paint and then thought that was it. We have now started to get electric shocks off the microwave (same socket as dryer) and the washing machin is not working from the extension lead which it has been plugged into for ages but, it works when plugged directly into the wall socket.
Sorry about the long narrative but that what happened!!!!
I have purchased two items of testing equioment today one being a socket tester and the other being a voltage mains tester. The voltage mains tester is showing an earth fault on the dryer and microwave but, not the cooker. the socket tester is showing a live/neutral reverse on all of the kitchen sickets bar 2 the cooker socket (sparky fitted) and a socket which the freezer plugs into (no idea who fitted) All of the other sockets were fitted by me when I fitted the kitchen about 5 years ago. I have no problems until now. Have I really made such a massive mistake as to incorrectly wire all of the sockets wrong or are these flashy metal faced socket crap? I have a plan to swao the live and neutral wires on one of the sockets to see if that rectifys the fault. Is this a good idea?. I have checked all of the other sockets in the house and they seem fine even the ones in the lounge which I changed a couple of years ago. Answers on a post card please.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked behind the sockets concerned to see if they are wired up correctly?
If not turn the power off before doing so.

In any case I would suggest that you call in an electrician to examine your wiring system - you do seem to have a multitude of faults.

There was damage to the casing of both appliances. I thought they must be too close together
That comment shows a very worrying lack of basic understanding on your part.

We have now started to get electric shocks off the microwave
Stop using or touching your appliances until an electrician has fixed the problems.

I have purchased two items of testing equioment today one being a socket tester and the other being a voltage mains tester.
What's a "voltage mains tester"?

All of the other sockets were fitted by me when I fitted the kitchen about 5 years ago.
Were you aware of the legal requirement to be competent to do electrical work, and to apply for Building Regulations approval which would have resulted in your work being inspected and tested for safety?

Have I really made such a massive mistake as to incorrectly wire all of the sockets wrong
Possibly.

or are these flashy metal faced socket crap?
Not crap enough to create the problems you're describing.

I have a plan to swao the live and neutral wires on one of the sockets to see if that rectifys the fault. Is this a good idea?.
NO.

You're out of your depth with an electrical installation which could kill you at any moment, so please don't fiddle with it any more.

If you haven't already called an electrician please do so right now.

I have a plan to swao the live and neutral wires on one of the sockets to see if that rectifys the fault. Is this a good idea?.
NO

While there is obviously at least one fault, swapping wires around could make things much worse.
Those plug in testers can and do give misleading results, particularly where the earth is missing or defective in some other way.

You need to call an electrician with proper testing equipment to find the problem(s).

Sponsored Links
Ban All Sheds.
In a day when I feel that life is crap you have just made me LMAO ! Please be assured that when I swapped the sockets over it was unscrew old socket from wall, check where the wires go and replace new socket in exactly the amse way. The voltage mains tester is something I picked up from B&Q looks a bit like a screw driver with a digital read out.
I am sure to somebody who has experience I must look like a complete A/hole but, Im not (or at least I dont think so anyway:) I have called a sparky and all of the bad things are unplugged I did not swap the wires around because even I thought what a stupid idea after posting. Thanks for the replies. I will post the results here (after I have called a plasterer and fixed the me shaped hole in the wall after pocking metal things into socket holes !!!!!

I would not call the plasterer until the sparky have sorted out your problems.

Throw that screwdriver away. They are useless tat and will mislead you. You need a proper voltage indicator device (it will have two leads) or a multimeter.
Oh yes, and the knowledge of how to use it and how to interpret the results.

Please be assured that when I swapped the sockets over it was unscrew old socket from wall, check where the wires go and replace new socket in exactly the amse way.

But sockets are not all the same.
Some manufacturers have the live on the left, some have the live on the right.

Did mother not tell you what assume is?

If you had completed the job (ie tested your work) then it would have become apparent before you put peoples lives at risk.

As I was sliding the cooker back I saw in the bottom corner of the cooker at the rear and arc go between the cooker and dryer

If that arc was from the metal casing of one item to the metal casing of the other item then you have a fault that is far more serious than a Live / Neutral reversal. If the arc was of any noticable size then you have the earth to one socket reversed with neutral or live. You did not mention whether the arc caused any MCB or RCD to trip. If neither tripped then the reversal is most likely to be earth and neutral. ( though that would trip an RCD so I guess you do not have an RCD )

A live and earth reversal would mean the appliance wouldn't work but it would also mean the equipment would be extremely hazardous and the risk of serious injury of death from electric shock is extremely high.

Get an electrician to inspect and then repair the faults.

If the arc was of any noticable size then you have the earth to one socket reversed with neutral or live.
Or no RCD and cables pinched and eventually damaged when flat-plate accessories were fitted into boxes which were too shallow.

No they are not. To test and fault find a electrical circuit you need to use a reference. For power circuits usually you would test between neutral and a live connection point.
These screwdrivers do no such thing. They provide an indication between the point of test and through your body and and a largish resistor through your shoes to something that might (or may not be) earth.
What is the point of that?

An electrical circuit may not work for many reasons.
Common ones are:
no live (eg blown fuse, broken connection)
and
no neutral (there's no fuse in the neutral so a likely problem will be abroken connection.
So, brains, explain to me how the digital screwdriver will help you find a missing neutral?

So, brains, explain to me how the digital screwdriver will help you find a missing neutral?

The point I was subtly trying to make was you recommended throwing the screwdriver-shaped instrument away as you assumed that any 'screwdriver shaped' tester must be a neon tester - as the OP mentioned it had a 'digitial read out' I would contend that it's not a neon screwdriver at all and that the advice to throw it away was poor.

If there is such a thing as a 'digital neon screwdriver' I humbly apologise and will concede I am talking rubbish.

Incidently, to find a broken neutral with an neon screwdriver is trivial - switch the load on (for clarity: tongue slightly in cheek)

Phat: are you in one of the five towns?

Or in the sticks?

You could well have a TT supply with no earth &/or no RCD.

Post some pix of your supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back