What is the BEST drill bit for drilling into brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m totally lost.

I tried drilling into brick with some various masonry bits I’ve accumulated over the years, they wouldn’t even touch the surface. So, after researching I found Bosch came out one of the best. I have purchased.
Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill Bit 6.0 x 100

ive managed 4 holes and the bit is worn out, where am I going wrong or do you really only get 4 holes.

Sponsored Links
I’m totally lost.

I tried drilling into brick with some various masonry bits I’ve accumulated over the years, they wouldn’t even touch the surface. So, after researching I found Bosch came out one of the best. I have purchased.
Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill Bit 6.0 x 100

ive managed 4 holes and the bit is worn out, where am I going wrong or do you really only get 4 holes.

What type of drill are you using and what type of bricks are you drilling into?

Maybe you are spinning the drill bit too fast and the tip is burning out?
A quality masonry bit, particularly SDS should drill many holes if the impact is strong and the speed low.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you all, I'll have a look at these sds bits.

The brick is the garage, single thickness, the outer is pretty normal but the backs have vertical lines etched through them all the across the back, I don't know the name of them, probably early seventies built. I'll try and get a photo in the light tomorrow but I'm not very good doing that sort of uploading stuff.

If it helps the bit was only £2.26, half the price it was at the famous diy store. Maybe this was a cheap bit.

Thank you all, I'll have a look at these sds bits.

The brick is the garage, single thickness, the outer is pretty normal but the backs have vertical lines etched through them all the across the back, I don't know the name of them, probably early seventies built. I'll try and get a photo in the light tomorrow but I'm not very good doing that sort of uploading stuff.

If it helps the bit was only £2.26, half the price it was at the famous diy store. Maybe this was a cheap bit.

Not much point in looking at SDS bits if you haven't got an SDS drill.

Are you making sure you're not clogging the bit up and/or getting it too hot? Withdraw it occasionally to free the dust and don't go too fast. You never want to get drill bits too hot.

I've watched builders destroy countless drill bits drilling steel beams because they don't know what they're doing!

I don’t have an sds drill, it’s just an ordinary drill with hammer action.

As for the bricks being shiny, it’s hammering down at the minute and the outer will look shinyish, on the inside of the garage the bricks, so the backs, do have a very very light glaze or slight shine, this is minuscule but they are not dull, they have vertical lines going right across each brick, I’ll try and sort a picture tomorrow when it’s light and hopefully the rain stopped, I’ve looked online but can’t find anything identical to refer to you. I understand the plaster gripping things JohnD has mentioned.

I’m going to get another bit and try going slower. Funny enough I’ve put hanging basket brackets on the house front and had no real issues drilling from the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back