What is the best way to fill the hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I need help with idea. I exposed the brick wall i found the holes from the old heating system. It was covered by plaster from this side (now removed) and plasterboard from the other side (still there and will stay). Basically what you see on the photos. What is the best/practical way to fill them? I want them to look like the brick afterwards. I was thinking foam and plaster over it, or mix up some mortar? Also in the bottom hole i got power socket. Do i need to protect it some how? Electrician tape? Thx for any help.
20170106_142605.jpg 20170106_142619.jpg

Sponsored Links
it looks like somebody has painted the wall (yuk)

How deep is the hole?

I'd use sand and cement mortar, because it is cheap and easy to use, doesn't go off quickly. Moisten the hole with a garden sprayer first. If the wall is bricks, you can shape it to a brck pattern, leave it a few weeks to dry, then use that horrible paint.

If it is plastered, leave the mortar slightly below the surface, when dry, skim it with Easyplast or Joint Filling Plaster.

Turn off power to the socket and protect it from damp or wet. Do not restore power until dry (overnight may be enough). Clean out the box and back of socket with a dry paintbrush (or replace with new) before restoring power.

Edit
I now see it is not a socket.

You must not just bury it. If it is redundant, remove the supply cable all the way to the point of origin *probably a spur). If still required, put it on the surface of the wall. That connector must be put in an enclosure, unless it can be removed.

Hey John.
Thanks for quick reply. There is plasterboard behind the brick wall. Its painted, so i want it to stay undamaged. I painted the wall after i stripped it from old plaster, it was coming off the wall, so i saved money by just painting it :)
The white socket is live, as well as other cables, and i need them. i can protect them with tape i suppose. Cover them up. So you think expanding foam is no go in this situation? By the way this is a single brick wall. How would you recommend to mix the sand and cement? I have sharp sand, will it be OK? Or i need to get another one?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
the filler is not really structural, so sharp sand should be OK. I have an idea it does not stick so well, so rough up the surfaces, and press it in hard, in small layers as it will shrink a little as it dries and sets.

About 1:3 of cement:sand will be OK. I admit I mix mine by eye for a proper colour. Too much sand and it will look yellow. You can mix such a small amount in a bucket. Avoid adding too much water and making it sloppy.

expanding foam can hold damp and damage plastic-covered cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back