What is the obsession with Smart home solutions?

Sponsored Links
Isn't their need based on soil moisture content?

That would probably be even better, but I'm not really that keen a gardener... I just want to try to avoid them dying.

I get weather data from yahoo, so it basis it partly on if there has been or will be rain in the past 24 hours. It saves having sensors, which could potentially go wrong etc.

Well, any of the components might go wrong! Do you consider the wind speed as well? Makes a big difference to the rate of transpiration.

Sponsored Links
Well, any of the components might go wrong! Do you consider the wind speed as well? Makes a big difference to the rate of transpiration.

They might, but something stuck in the ground and measuring soil moisture is more likely to.

I don't consider windspeed, no. I might look into that for the future if it is likely to make much difference.

Its a free world, people can do what they want with their money. Some people like the convenience the techs gives other dont.

Not if properly designed for that purpose.

It does, far more than the ambient humidity.

If you're interested, this is how I'm working it out.

Code:
   var Number averageHumidity = 30.0
    if (YahooHumidity.state instanceof DecimalType)
        averageHumidity = YahooHumidity.averageSince(now.minusHours(24), "mysql") as DecimalType

// temperature
    var Number averageTemp = 20.0
    if (WU_Temperature.state instanceof DecimalType)
        averageTemp = WU_Temperature.averageSince(now.minusHours(24), "mysql") as DecimalType

// rainfall
    var Number rainToday = 0
    var Number rainYesterday = 0
    if (Weather_Rain.state instanceof DecimalType)
        rainToday = Weather_Rain.state as DecimalType
    if (Weather_Rain_Tomorrow.state instanceof DecimalType)
        rainYesterday = Weather_Rain_Tomorrow.state as DecimalType

// calculate the various scale factors
    // https://github.com/rszimm/sprinklers_pi/blob/master/Weather.cpp
    var Number humidityFactor = (30.0 - averageHumidity) * 1
    var Number tempFactor = (averageTemp - 20.0) * 4
    var Number rainFactor = (rainToday + rainYesterday) * -8

// calculate the overall scale factor
    var Number scaleFactor = (100 + humidityFactor + tempFactor + rainFactor)

// apply limits (0 to 200%)
    if (scaleFactor < 0)
        scaleFactor = 0
    else if (scaleFactor > 200)
        scaleFactor = 200

// post the update so the irrigation rules can use it
    Irrigation_ScaleFactor.postUpdate(scaleFactor.intValue)

The result is that during the summer they get more water than during the winter. My plants are still alive, so as far as I'm concerned, it's working for me.

Yes there are probably far better ways of doing it, but to be honest, I'm not that bothered.

Its a free world, people can do what they want with their money. Some people like the convenience the techs gives other dont.
True - but then many of them really need protecting from themselves. Most of them don't know enough to consider the security and privacy issues - thus leaving themselves open to all sorts of problems. Not only that, but the insecurity goes beyond the hapless owners' networks when these devices get herded into botnets and used to attack other sites on the internet.
My plants are still alive, so as far as I'm concerned, it's working for me.
That's enough for most. Lest face it, most plants have evolved to cope with variable (and sometimes quite sparse) rainfall - so near enough should be enough to keep most plants alive.

True - but then many of them really need protecting from themselves.
So does society at large, because...

Most of them don't know enough to consider the security and privacy issues
... that also applies, unfortunately, to many of the people designing the systems. And probably to all of the marketing people who think it would be cool to have internet access to a car's audio system.

- thus leaving themselves everyone open to all sorts of problems.

Two items from another place....

Ex-live in girlfriend used her phone access to alter the settings of the heating system in her boyfriend's house.

Family could not find how to manually control the house systems after the dog broke the i-pad that controlled the house.

Another item from that other place

What benefit is there to the home owner if the company that installed their heating system can then monitor its activity via the internet ?

Some comments in reply to that question are best kept out of public domain as there are "security" implications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back