What is the paint colour I'm looking for?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've recently bought a house in the Cotswolds and am looking to paint the door sage green. The house was built in the 80s and therefore doesn't have the old yellowy Cotswold stone - it's a newer, probably reconstituted, more creamy colour. All the info I can find online for paint colours for Cotswold stone houses are talking about the more traditional colour, so can anyone offer any advice on what kind of paint colour/undertones I should be looking for? I'm after a colour that isn't too bright green, but definitely more green than grey.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Farrow & Ball's "Vert De Terre" (No. 234). Or possibly "Lichen" (No. 19).

Sponsored Links
if you go to an independent decorator shop they can mix it in a Dulux or Johnstones etc

Do NOT succumb to the seductive whispers of French Gray or Pigeon. They may bat their elegant, subtle eyelashes at you from the paint chart, promising sophistication and understated charm, but let's not be fooled.

French Gray? It's a delightful little masquerader, a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Despite its name implying an air of chic Frenchness, it's really just gallivanting about in a green-grey disguise. Oh, it may seem alluring with its subtlety, but when it comes to gracing the presence of your front door, it simply won't give you the green impact you're yearning for. It's more likely to retire to a quiet corner and sip herbal tea than to boldly announce your home's character.

And Pigeon? It's less of a lush, verdant oasis and more of a brooding, cloudy day at the seaside. It's got a certain depth, yes, and it might occasionally flash you a hint of green under just the right light. But let's be real, it's still a bluish grey at heart. A bit moody, a bit cool. It's the mysterious stranger at the party that turns out to be, well, just a bit too grey.

You see, your house, with its delightful creamy reconstituted stone, is crying out for a colour that's genuinely green, not just pretending to be. It needs a colour that will take it by the hand and say, "Come on, let's show the world how beautifully green we can be!"

So, despite the undeniably alluring charm of French Gray and Pigeon, I implore you, nay, I beseech you, let us turn our discerning eyes towards the true sage greens - Vert De Terre or Lichen. Muted, yes, but unmistakably green, these colours are the perfect complement to your Cotswold stone.

After all, why merely whisper in green when you can confidently sing in it? Let's give your home the green it so richly deserves. French Gray and Pigeon, it's not you, it's us.

Do NOT succumb to the seductive whispers of French Gray or Pigeon. They may bat their elegant, subtle eyelashes at you from the paint chart, promising sophistication and understated charm, but let's not be fooled.

French Gray? It's a delightful little masquerader, a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Despite its name implying an air of chic Frenchness, it's really just gallivanting about in a green-grey disguise. Oh, it may seem alluring with its subtlety, but when it comes to gracing the presence of your front door, it simply won't give you the green impact you're yearning for. It's more likely to retire to a quiet corner and sip herbal tea than to boldly announce your home's character.

And Pigeon? It's less of a lush, verdant oasis and more of a brooding, cloudy day at the seaside. It's got a certain depth, yes, and it might occasionally flash you a hint of green under just the right light. But let's be real, it's still a bluish grey at heart. A bit moody, a bit cool. It's the mysterious stranger at the party that turns out to be, well, just a bit too grey.

You see, your house, with its delightful creamy reconstituted stone, is crying out for a colour that's genuinely green, not just pretending to be. It needs a colour that will take it by the hand and say, "Come on, let's show the world how beautifully green we can be!"

So, despite the undeniably alluring charm of French Gray and Pigeon, I implore you, nay, I beseech you, let us turn our discerning eyes towards the true sage greens - Vert De Terre or Lichen. Muted, yes, but unmistakably green, these colours are the perfect complement to your Cotswold stone.

After all, why merely whisper in green when you can confidently sing in it? Let's give your home the green it so richly deserves. French Gray and Pigeon, it's not you, it's us.
This is an amazing answer :ROFLMAO: can we be friends?

Thank you everyone, I was also leaning towards Lichen but will definitely check out Vert De Terre as well. Much appreciated!

I know a couple of Arabs who are looking for some sand.
Are you interested? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just go to B&Q or a Brewers and choose a colour you like form the charts, there are literally thousands to choose from, they can also make the colour you like by scanning it and making it.

I like sage green and painted my front door and some other external wooden parts of my newly-bought house four years ago with Dulux Weathershield Fresh Sage. I recoated some parts this year though they didn't really need it - including some planters made from ordinary non-treated CLS that have been filled with wet earth for that time. Off-the-shelf, water-based, durable and - for what it's worth - has an unusually pleasant smell before it dries. Costs a lot but then so does all good paint these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back