What is the point of the lid on the top of a washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I know that reads like a silly question.

Earlier this week I spent half a day trying to push my mum's Miele washing machine back so that the kitchen cabinet door could be refitted.

I could not work out why it would not go back further. I kept measuring the top panel/lid and decided that I should have loads of space.

After a while I noticed that the back panel had a number of bulges that extended out past the lid. Armed with that info I then proceeded to chisel off the plaster in the cavity.

What is the point of having an overhang at the back of the lid if that overhang doesn't extend past all of the back panel bulges. I had always assumed that the overhang was there so that the machine couldn't be pushed back too far.

Sponsored Links
In fact you're right.
I never come across this problem, usually the lid overhang is the point that sticks out further.
Complain to miele and see if they give you some money :sneaky:
Or maybe you got a fake Chinese washing machine.

A mate of mine is a Miele engineer. He ordered it directly from them on her behalf when the previous Miele died. It is bona fide.

She has been waiting years for me to push it back far enough to refit the cabinet door.

I am a crap son...

Is it an integrated appliance? Or was the one before an integrated one? Sounds like you might have ordered the wrong one?

Sponsored Links
surely any lumps or bumps are there to space things off in this case the wall to give the correct space for ultimate operation ??

Integrated appliances do not have lids just flat plates on top to seal the machine. As specialK says , wrong machine for your application.

Is it an integrated appliance? Or was the one before an integrated one? Sounds like you might have ordered the wrong one?

Both were free standing models. The kitchen was hand built with extra deep worktops and panels.

Both Mieles had the same depth of lid, the newer Miele however is 2cm deeper when you take into account the lumps.

surely any lumps or bumps are there to space things off in this case the wall to give the correct space for ultimate operation ??

Every other washing machine that I have installed has an overhang that is sufficient to ensure that the waste and feed pipes do not get squashed. In this case, part of the waste pipe stuck out further than the lid.

Check the measurements of the machine - if they dont match then complain? Otherwise I dont think there is much you can do, other than what you have already done. Does seem silly the hoses stick out further than the lip at the back!

If you have a timber supporting the rear of the worktop then a overhang at the top would hit it preventing it going far enough back .

If you have a timber supporting the rear of the worktop then a overhang at the top would hit it preventing it going far enough back .

There was no timber at the back. Had there been I would have noticed when pushing the tape measure back. Additionally I would have noticed it when I pulled the washing machine out.

I guess you haven't had a chance to read all of the replies.

I managed to sort things out by hacking out the plaster. I left the plaster where the lid sits so that I wouldn't end up pushing the WM back too far.

The Miele engineer (my friend) removed the old Miele WM and fitted the new Miele WM. I don't think he even noticed that the rear shell extended past the lid. I will give him a (slight) digging when I next speak to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back