What is the professional "PTFE"

Are they the ones that wash the buckets out in the brand new bath?? :whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Where I work, tenant was getting a new bathroom, apparently the contractor tilers mixed grout in the bath, tenant asked him “where’s your spot board?”, words were exchanged, tiler responded with “you’re not paying for it”, tenant asked him to step outside and knocked him out :sleep::eek:

Sponsored Links
My firm banned Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) tape, it seems some one missed the 300°C bit, and considered it was dangerous to use! But seems there was no real reason to stop using it.
3.HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
3.1 The primary hazard associated with these polymers is the inhalation of fumes from overheating or
burning Heating PTFE above 300 degrees C may liberate a fine particulate fume
3.2 Polymer fume fever, a temporary flu-like condition with fever chills, nausea, shortness of breath, chest
tightness, muscle or joint ache.
3.3 The symptoms are often delayed 4 to 24 hours after exposure. These signs are generally temporary,
lasting 24-48 hours and resolve without further complications.
3.4 However, some individuals with repeat episodes of polymer fume have reported persistent pulmonary
effects. Exposure to decomposition products from PTFE heated above400 degrees C may cause
pulmonary inflammation, hemorrhageor oedema.
3.5 These more serious consequences of exposure may occur from extreme thermal decomposition of
PTFE witch can liberate fume particles, and toxic gases especially under condition of poor ventilation
and/or confined spaces.
3.6 These decomposition products may initially produce chest tightness or pain, chills, fever, nausea, with
shortness of breath, cough, wheezing and progression into pulmonary oedema.
I have found there is so often a problem we are unaware of, I remember the folder full of COSHH leaflets for nearly every product we used, including some one had put one in for woman! One item we did not have and COSHH leaflet for was the firestop, so I assumed it was inert. One guy was having some problems with his hands, so one weekend when at home I did an internet hunt, it was anything but inert. It was really nasty stuff. We were using it like polyfilla, saved having two guns. You know the thing, wet your finger in mouth to smooth it off.

But I had stopped using PTFE for years thinking it was banned like asbestos, likely some of the old products did contain asbestos.

My firm banned Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) tape, it seems some one missed the 300°C bit, and considered it was dangerous to use! But seems there was no real reason to stop using it.
3.HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
3.1 The primary hazard associated with these polymers is the inhalation of fumes from overheating or
burning Heating PTFE above 300 degrees C may liberate a fine particulate fume
3.2 Polymer fume fever, a temporary flu-like condition with fever chills, nausea, shortness of breath, chest
tightness, muscle or joint ache.
3.3 The symptoms are often delayed 4 to 24 hours after exposure. These signs are generally temporary,
lasting 24-48 hours and resolve without further complications.
3.4 However, some individuals with repeat episodes of polymer fume have reported persistent pulmonary
effects. Exposure to decomposition products from PTFE heated above400 degrees C may cause
pulmonary inflammation, hemorrhageor oedema.
3.5 These more serious consequences of exposure may occur from extreme thermal decomposition of
PTFE witch can liberate fume particles, and toxic gases especially under condition of poor ventilation
and/or confined spaces.
3.6 These decomposition products may initially produce chest tightness or pain, chills, fever, nausea, with
shortness of breath, cough, wheezing and progression into pulmonary oedema.
I have found there is so often a problem we are unaware of, I remember the folder full of COSHH leaflets for nearly every product we used, including some one had put one in for woman! One item we did not have and COSHH leaflet for was the firestop, so I assumed it was inert. One guy was having some problems with his hands, so one weekend when at home I did an internet hunt, it was anything but inert. It was really nasty stuff. We were using it like polyfilla, saved having two guns. You know the thing, wet your finger in mouth to smooth it off.

But I had stopped using PTFE for years thinking it was banned like asbestos, likely some of the old products did contain asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back