What is the purpose of a relay switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone help me with what the purpose of a relay switch is in respect of home automation? I see the LightwaveRF and Fibaro offer this, and whilst I think I know what it is, it would be great to get a qualified answer from someone who understands it better.

Please give a few examples of where it can be used and for what purpose, and some extreme fancy scenarios of where it can be used for security detection, namely for external lighting or PIR sensor activation.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In this context, for switching things on/off using remote switches - eg lights that you don't want on a dimmer, a motor etc. I use them for switching the led and CFL lights in my bathroom, and a timer relay for the mirror demisters (stops them being left on)

In this context, for switching things on/off using remote switches - eg lights that you don't want on a dimmer, a motor etc. I use them for switching the led and CFL lights in my bathroom, and a timer relay for the mirror demisters (stops them being left on)

I thought it's for variable control of something like a blind rather than a binary on or off command?

Sponsored Links
But then what's the difference between having that and having one of those home automation devices which can activate a switch without a relay?

That is a lot more than just a relay.

It might not even have a relay in it.

It is a remote controlled switch.

It has a switch (which might be a relay) together with a wireless receiver and some electronic "intelligence" that can understand messages received on the wireless and if necessary operate the switch.

A basic relay is a coil and one or more sets of contacts. When the coil is energised ( current flowing through it ) it creates a magnetic field which causes a mechancal action to occur which changes the state on the contact set(s). When the coil is de-energised the contact set(s) return to their normal state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back