What is the spur switch outside my bathroom for and can i us

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a spur switch outside my bathroom on the right up high, it currently has no fuse and looks old so guess its off something no longer used. Can i use this for my loft lighting i have disconnected the wire it supplies incase anyone helping me decorate adds a fuse to it. The wiring comes from the loft and exits into loft then both travel back down the wall between bathroom and small bedroom then downstairs were they dissapear. the supply for the spur is live?

If i can use it to power loft light what amp fuse should be used, if its safe to do so. If i cannot can i remove the spur and whats best way of blanking old wiring so i can plaster over old hole?

Thanks hope i have explained it all correctly.

Sponsored Links
It is worth finding out what circuit this originates from.

You can find out by using a voltage indicator or multimeter and switching off the circuit breakers in the consumer unit one at a time.

For lighting, use a 3amp fuse. Wiring can be with 1mm² cable. Just run a length to your lamp in the loft.

Should be just fine to use it as you plan.

Hi i have a spur switch outside my bathroom on the right up high, it currently has no fuse and looks old so guess its off something no longer used.
Well, obviously difficult to tell from here.
Did you used to have a fan in the bathroom?
Can i use this for my loft lighting
Probably, (see below *).
i have disconnected the wire it supplies incase anyone helping me decorate adds a fuse to it.
Very wise.
The wiring comes from the loft and exits into loft then both travel back down the wall between bathroom and small bedroom then downstairs were they dissapear. the supply for the spur is live?
*It sounds like you should be able to pull the cable back into the loft and use it there for your light.
If i can use it to power loft light what amp fuse should be used, if its safe to do so.
3 amps.
If i cannot can i remove the spur and whats best way of blanking old wiring so i can plaster over old hole?
IF you are sure the cable comes from loft to 'spur switch' and then returns to loft then
TURN OFF POWER, disconnect from 'spur switch', pull into loft then use for light.

If you can't pull into loft then cut cable in loft (POWER STILL OFF), terminate both the wires temporarily in three connector blocks.
Then with no wires, or dead cut off pieces, remove old spur and plaster.

Hi thanks all, will pull breakers check were it originates from. No fan in bathroom wish there was a future addition maybe one step at a time doing full renovation which was meant to be decorating lol.

Sponsored Links
Is there voltage at the supply side of the FCU?
It could have been used for a number of things, bathroom fan, wall light, lighted mirror, shaver socket etc....
Providing the existing cable supplying the FCU has live, neutral and earth and are in a good/suitable/fit for purpose condition. They should be no real issues.
Ideally you need to do a Continuity test R1+R2 between CU and FCU and also an Insulation Resistance test between the conductors.
This will tell you if you have a earth/CPC continuity and good low resistance and what condition the insulation is on the cables. Always handy to know them. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back