What is this - an external isolator?

Hadn't realised that this had been edited out. But on going to the link which had been presented and zooming in I can assure you that it was definitely a rotary isolator.
Yes, I agree it clearly is a rotary isolator when seen in that linked advert (I have now been provided with the link in a PM) - but, as you will realise, I hadn't been able to see that when I commented.

Sponsored Links
I had posted a link to the web site that contained the socket in question but it looks like it has been removed (not by me), it was not an advert for the conservatories! I did it so it would allow you to zoom in to the picture which otherwise was not as clear.

I had posted a link to the web site that contained the socket in question but it looks like it has been removed (not by me), it was not an advert for the conservatories! I did it so it would allow you to zoom in to the picture which otherwise was not as clear.
Yes, I now understand that.

You may not regard it as being 'an advert', but the paged linked to offers to sell one the pictured conservatory for £2,999.99 (albeit currently 'out of stock'!) - so I think I can understand the link having been removed from your post in this 'no advertising' forum :)

Anyway, what matters to you is that we are now all agreed about what the object is. As a matter of curiosity, why did you want to identify an object in a website photo?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I agree it clearly is a rotary isolator when seen in that linked advert (I have now been provided with the link in a PM) - but, as you will realise, I hadn't been able to see that when I commented.
It was there when you commented, as I used the link AFTER your post to show you the higher res pic :p

Sponsored Links
Yes, I now understand that.

You may not regard it as being 'an advert', but the paged linked to offers to sell one the pictured conservatory for £2,999.99 (albeit currently 'out of stock'!) - so I think I can understand the link having been removed from your post in this 'no advertising' forum :)

Anyway, what matters to you is that we are now all agreed about what the object is. As a matter of curiosity, why did you want to identify an object in a website photo?

Kind Regards, John

I'm preparing for some outside works on a patio etc and wanted to understand the different type of sockets that go on walls and their precise purpose before we close up our internal floors and ceilings. Is there such a thing as an external fuse box so we can run cabling etc to that unit safely rather than having to run wires internally at a later date. I know about safety, qualified electrician etc but just want to do some pre-reading.

I'm preparing for some outside works on a patio etc and wanted to understand the different type of sockets that go on walls and their precise purpose before we close up our internal floors and ceilings.
Fair enough.
Is there such a thing as an external fuse box so we can run cabling etc to that unit safely rather than having to run wires internally at a later date.
I don't think simple yes/no answer would help you much. I think we (at least I!) would need to have a little more understanding of what you are thinking about (e.g. what such an 'external fuse box' would be for) before we can give you much useful information/advice - so could you perhaps 'expand' a little?

Kind Regards, John

Sure. Thx for the question.

so plans are for decorative garden lighting (spikes in the ground, those fancy up/downlight lanterns on walls or fence posts, possibly pathway lighting), some external sockets further down the garden, provision for an outbuilding (garden office / gym etc) and the electrics that go into that.

I just can’t have everything run back from to the main house consumer unit in the cloak room when the house is all renovated.

Last edited:
so plans are for decorative garden lighting (spikes in the ground, those fancy up/downlight lanterns on walls or fence posts, possibly pathway lighting), some external sockets further down the garden, provision for an outbuilding (garden office / gym etc) and the electrics that go into that. .... I just can’t have everything run back from to the main course consumer unit in the cloak room which all is renovated in the house.
Thanks for clarifying.

No matter how you did it, there would be a need for the electricity supply to 'run back' to the house, probably to the consumer unit or, at least, its vicinity. Very many of us have outdoor electrical arrangements (including feeds to outbuildings) such as you describe but I've never personally seen anyone have an 'outdoor fuse box' (which is clearly not a very desirable idea) in order to achieve that.

Is there any existing outbuilding (in addition to the one for which you wish to make provision)? If there were, that would be the most obvious place to which to run an electricity supply.

Kind Regards, John

Some people mount a Sarel box somewhere out of site, with a big enough power supply going to it initially, any outside work can then run back to it, and its big enough to accommodate most things

Don't know how legit this method is, but I have seen it when house was being refurbished and ceilings were down electrician put in a RCBO in Consumer unit, from this a 6mm2 T&E cable went through the house to the back wall where it ended in a normal blank IP65 box on outside wall of house.

This was designed for later use for when/if power was needed for a garden office, sockets or outside lights, with the understanding electrician would come back and put an armored 6mm2 cable from this box through garden in a trench to where it was needed.

Cost them a bit more, and they have not used it yet.
And they are now limited to 6mm2.
But the cable is in place for when needed.

Last edited:
Some people mount a Sarel box somewhere out of site, with a big enough power supply going to it initially, any outside work can then run back to it, and its big enough to accommodate most things
Yes, that can be done - but, as I said, I personally must have seen hundreds of domestic gardens 'with electricity', but I can't recall have seen one which had an 'outside CU', in a Sarel box or any other enclosure.

As I suggested to the OP, if there is a suitably located outbuilding, that's probably an obvious place to which to run the supply (and whence, whether from a mini-CU or whatever, to wherever/whatever needed) but 'outside' is not something I can recall having seen in a domestic garden.

Maybe my experience is too limited :)

Kind Regards, John

Is there such a thing as an external fuse box.
When on holiday in Spain I saw some hanging on lamp posts and trees for an outdoor enertainment/market area. A Google search found them in a local builders merchant, we wanted some for a site temporaries I purchased 4 that they didn't have in stock and their supplier delivered them directly to UK for a very modest charge.
Elettrocanalli IP66.

When on holiday in Spain I saw some hanging on lamp posts and trees for an outdoor enertainment/market area. A Google search found them in a local builders merchant, we wanted some for a site temporaries I purchased 4 that they didn't have in stock and their supplier delivered them directly to UK for a very modest charge. Elettrocanalli IP66.
Most things are available if one looks hard enough! However, would you really be happy with an "IP66 CU" in your garden, or any garden you had anything to do with?

As Rocky said, one could put a CU (or any other sort of 'distribution equipment') in a suitable outdoor enclosure, but I'm not sure that I would really want even that - and, as I said, I can't recall having seen such in any UK domestic garden - have you?

Kind Regards, John

Most things are available if one looks hard enough! However, would you really be happy with an "IP66 CU" in your garden, or any garden you had anything to do with?

As Rocky said, one could put a CU (or any other sort of 'distribution equipment') in a suitable outdoor enclosure, but I'm not sure that I would really want even that - and, as I said, I can't recall having seen such in any UK domestic garden - have you?

Kind Regards, John
Why not if it's something thats required?

I assume you are including something like this:
upload_2021-3-31_20-37-41.jpeg

Looks like the missus left the 13A socket switched on when she finished with the radio earlier.

Last edited:
Why not if it's something thats required?
No particular reason "why not?" if it's actually 'required'. However, I wonder how often there really is a true need (for "a CU" in a domestic garden) - and if there is not a true need, having something like a CU outdoors ('in the elements') if it doesn't need to be is not what I would personally regard as particularly desirable.
I assume you are including something like this: ...
Is there a "CU", or some equivalent, inside that box?

Anyway, as I said, if one feels one has to have 'a CU' in the garden, then I would personally prefer it to be inside some suitable enclosure, rather than having an "IP66 CU" screwed to a wall or fence :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back