What is this and Can it be replaced? It's Leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a leak by my old boiler (the 1st photo is a long shot so you get an idea of its position, the 2nd photo is a close up view.)
Not sure what this does, but it looks like a cap put on end of pipe, but when I look close, there appears to be holes drilled around it???? This is where the water is trickling from. Is it possible to replace this or is it something more complicated than a stop cap?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Safety valve. Designed to release overheated and overpressured water incase of blocked or frozen feed and expansion tank or pipes.

I haven't seen those for a while.

Depend of what boiler you have, it can be remove and cap off.

Daniel.

Thanks.

Then maybe I don't have a leak, maybe it's squeezing water out due to a problem with my Potterton Open Vent system???

I'll have another closer look.

Sponsored Links
Common fault (often leading to bad corrosion if it is fitted to the back plate of a room sealed boiler like a potterton neataheat :( )

Looks like a 3/4" one.

http://www.bes.co.uk/product/98~PL~1731~-Spring-Safety-Valves.html

It is there on old boilers that do not have overheat stats as a back up in case the open vent became blocked.

As I recall they are supposed to be adjusted by unscrewing the top till it leaks and then tightening a quarter turn, but in fact the springs are so heavy that with a normal domestic system the top is almost off before it leaks leaving it just holding on by a whisker of thread! So often they are in fact tightened down a turn or two and left to chance! ;)

Be interested to hear how others set them up. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back