What is this cable???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have just moved into a 1930’s cottage and finding lots of diy jobs to do. I am pretty new to diy so trying to learn and find out things.

I have a wire above ground outside the front of the house, shown below, is it some sort of earthing cable? Is it possible to move it?

B00BC5D1-A2DE-4825-9702-0C804E0B4664.jpeg

Thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
yep earthing rod, don't pull it out. Might be possible to install one inside?, then swap the cabling over?

Might be possible to install one inside?,

Earthing rods should be located where ground is moistened by rain water or other water.

A rod in dry ground ( such as inside a house ) will have a higher electrical impedance and the impedance maybe come too high to adequately protect the electrical system and people in the house.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your input. I thought it was an earthing rod, but just didn’t know if it could be moved or anything, as it is rather unsightly sat right outside the front door!!

I have come across info about PME earthing and the uk power network can come and asses if this is possible.

I guess this maybe the best option for moving/removing the rod

It could be done much more neatly.

if you were to remove a brick and hammer a new rod in, it could be slightly below ground level, with a neat black cap flush with the ground, rather like the lid over a stopcock, and the cable could be neater as well. For example drilled through the wall much closer to the cap, and maybe further from the front door so it is less conspicuous. If you can run it under a wooden floor that will be easier than if you have concrete floors. It should be tested by an electrician before connection to ensure it is working adequately.

Example of a cap
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=earth+rod&Submit=Search

As you see, a new rod is not at all expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back