What is this old pipe and can I get rid of it?

Thanks again all for your advice.

Mr National Grid has been & gone... it's DEAD!

I asked him to remove it but told me he's not authorised however if I give them a ring they MIGHT come round again to remove it for free.

So if they want to charge me then would that basically mean I have to pay them to remove their property off my property?

I'll find out tomorrow.

For educational purposes only: What would one need to buy specifically to put an end stop on the end of a pipe such as this?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
For education only - and speaking as a NON RGI - google : screwed iron pipework . I disclaim all responsibility for your actions :mrgreen:

Interesting and yet possibly alarming development.

I called the number of the department within National Grid that is supposed to arrange to have the pipe removed. They told me that because it is confirmed dead I can remove it myself with a saw!

I made it clear that it was a service pipe that used to be connected to an old gas meter and the other department in National Grid told me to call them because they have to remove it. He told me that they don't remove service pipes within the building and because it's confirmed dead, I can remove it myself.

Even I find this scary because this would mean that the pipe will be open and I don't think anyone knows where or if it's still connected despite being dead.

I probably ought to call them again just to be sure especially because the same company is giving conflicting instructions.

I wouldn't leave it open anyway and do it myself until I know what I'm doing but legally at this point, they told me I can do it although it would be there words against mine.

It's never bloomin' straight forward is it!

The only option for capping that pipework is to trace it back (under the floor) to a fitting, remove the pipe from the fitting and then fit a plug of the correct size. There is no option to cap a cut end unless a thread is cut on it onto which to screw a cap.

I'd be wary of hacksawing it off flush with the floor as you will be left with an exposed cut end that could be razor sharp. :eek:

Sponsored Links
The only option for capping that pipework is to trace it back (under the floor) to a fitting, remove the pipe from the fitting and then fit a plug of the correct size. There is no option to cap a cut end unless a thread is cut on it onto which to screw a cap.

I'd be wary of hacksawing it off flush with the floor as you will be left with an exposed cut end that could be razor sharp. :eek:

Thanks very much.

The problem is the pipe runs from my flat on the second floor down past the communal stairs on the first floor and then into the ground floor flat. Finding the source is going to be a nightmare making sure everybody is available and agreeable. I know what you mean, but I was hoping that I or National Grid would saw and knock the pipe through to the first floor where it could be capped off. Maybe I'll see if I can buy a bung intended for a large test tube!

Thanks again.

just call them back and DEMAND that they remove it, it is their service pipe, if you Demand then they will remove it, they will try messing you around though but if you stick by it they have to remove it and make good any holes etc caused by the removal

We are talking flats, and multiple occupancy building.

The pipe may not be a mains service pipe, but a service pipe from the gas meter to a sub meter owned by the landlord.

As I said in an earlier post, you're only allowed one service entry so sub-meter makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back