What is this part of the roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

my neighbour (not adjoined) has had a whole new roof and the guy doing it had a look at mine and said I'd need work doing too. now at the time I thought he was just looking to make a quick buck but having a look, it does not seem quite right.

On the pic you can see the grey bit has broken up and I assume needs patching up? can anyone tell me what this part of the roof is called so I at least have some clue when it comes to getting someone to have a proper look.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Lead flashing.

Are you sure what your seeing isn't an overlap in the flashing?

Last edited:
Ha okay, yes that's correct it can either be raked out and repointed or install a dry verge. I much prefer the look of pointed verge myself. If you do get it repointed you can purchase a small role of mesh tuck this in first then repoint your far less likely to get cracks further down the line.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
noidea27, good evening.

The area of roof that you are concerned about? is it

A/. The highest sloping section of the roof, there is some missing cement below the roof tile overhang.

Or

B/. There is a sloping stepped lead flashing about mid way up the wall?

From the image it appears that some joints in the lead on the Image posted appear to be lifting and parting??

Not sure which are you are concerned about?

Ken.

if you look up the gable to the verge youll see the tile undercloak has lost some of its mortar packing.

Also for long life repointing alone may look nice at first but you should specify something like end tiles off, clean mortar, remove under cloak and bed new, then bed and point the original tiles in one operation. Ideally clip the end tiles if you're in a windy area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back