What is this plastic pipe fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Does anyone recognise this pipe fitting (the bit joining the two pipes)?

It is from a loft water tank overflow pipe.

Has a round turnable disc on it but I cannot see that it does anything.

IMG_20230326_212641.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not part of any bylaw kit I've seen.
As above guesses.
Need to see workings to have a better idea. Is that a slotted hole at the 12 o clock position?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - a couple of extra photos attached.

I am slightly confused - in the bottom photo, the overflow tube opening is below the water line. This is unlike any other water tank photo have seen on the net.

Would this not cause a syphon effect and start sucking water out of the tank?

I wondered if that was why an air admittance valve was put in - is that device certainly an insect screen instead?

IMG_20230327_092545.jpg
IMG_20230327_092554.jpg
IMG_20230327_092656.jpg

Is

Last edited:
Deffo an insect screen - the dip pipe stops draught blowing back over the water ( possible freezing ) all part of the bylaw kit (y) PS the outlet from the cistern - is there something blocking it ?

I don't normally see the bug screen at that point but having now seen the rest of the bylaw kit, it's the only place it can be. They're usually on the main top part, outside the cwsc.

Thanks so much, guys - I popped the little cap off and it was indeed a small metal mesh.

Cannot believe I didn't know that that was there.

I had never heard of By-Law kits, before. Now I have looked them up - all seems to make sense, now.

I have one of those houses where everything seems just a little bit different, so it is nice to find that this is at least something that was done properly.

PS the outlet from the cistern - is there something blocking it ?

Is that the lower outlet in the photo? Does it look like something might be a bit dodgy about it?

Is that the lower outlet in the photo? Does it look like something might be a bit dodgy about it?

Yes.
It does appear to have something stuck in it, from the photo.

Some rockwool insulation perhaps?
Might just be a trick of the camera!

Would also be belt and braces to clean the sediment out of there when you have a chance.
Drain tank and use a wet vac if you have one.
Or use a hose down to Bog below and getting a syphoning action going on the hose and it will act as a pool vacuum which you can gently suck the sediment up with. Try not to disturb the water too much if/when doing this.

Yes.
It does appear to have something stuck in it, from the photo.

Some rockwool insulation perhaps?
Might just be a trick of the camera!

Would also be belt and braces to clean the sediment out of there when you have a chance.
Drain tank and use a wet vac if you have one.
Or use a hose down to Bog below and getting a syphoning action going on the hose and it will act as a pool vacuum which you can gently suck the sediment up with. Try not to disturb the water too much if/when doing this.

Now you mention it, it does look a bit funny - I shall definitely check that out (I have bits of insulation everywhere, so I would not be surprised if some had got into the tank).

Thanks ever so much for the advice on cleaning out the sediment with a hose - definitely going to try that this summer. It has not been cleaned since I have been in the house (15 years or so), so it is really quite manky in there.

Now you mention it, it does look a bit funny - I shall definitely check that out (I have bits of insulation everywhere, so I would not be surprised if some had got into the tank).

Thanks ever so much for the advice on cleaning out the sediment with a hose - definitely going to try that this summer. It has not been cleaned since I have been in the house (15 years or so), so it is really quite manky in there.

No probs.
As said, careful not to disturb water too much else the sediment will just go back into suspension and you'll have to drain all the water out and it could clog up the filters on your taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back