What is this trimmer timber for above Velux?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone can advise why there is this additional trimmer timber directly above two Velux we have? I can of course understand the doubled up timbers above and below, as well as the single timber directly above (for fixing plasterboard to) but just not sure on why there are these additional ones laid 'flat' above the windows? Only wondering as having them reduces the thickness of insulation that can be installed at this point. Hopefully photos show what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

IMG_7115.JPG

Sponsored Links
the position could have changed if they forgot about fire escape being lower than the preferred position for the window??

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the responses, all make sense!

I guess next question is what purpose are they serving? I assume for providing something for the roof tiles to be supported by, but surely that would be achieved by the roof battens?

And subsequent question(s) to the above:

1) do we leave as is and just have slightly thinner insulation here?
2) remove and have full thickness insulation?
3) remove and take the opportunity to fit larger Velux (which would be nice, but not really necessary)?

Thanks again

A trimmer supports the trimmed rafter, not the tiles.

That timber above the velux is not a trimmer, just a noggin

That bit of 7x2 (?) flat has seemingly been put in to support the top apron flashing, but was/is unnecessary.

A trimmer supports the trimmed rafter, not the tiles.

That timber above the velux is not a trimmer, just a noggin

That bit of 7x2 (?) flat has seemingly been put in to support the top apron flashing, but was/is unnecessary.
Thanks for clarifying the terminology woody - helpful as always.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back