What is this

Sponsored Links
First pic - not obvious, could easily be as EFLI suggests, or possibly some kind of thermostat or valve. What is it attached to? That bit of valvegear in the lower right of the pic looks like part of an underfloor heating manifold?

Second pic - That, I'm almost certain, is a solenoid valve for a dishwasher or washing machine. The more expensive German manufacturers like to put them at that end of the hose instead of inside the machine, presumably to reduce the risk of hose leaks.

Second pic - That, I'm almost certain, is a solenoid valve for a dishwasher or washing machine. The more expensive German manufacturers like to put them at that end of the hose instead of inside the machine, presumably to reduce the risk of hose leaks.
Unless I'm missing it, there's no obvious sign of any wiring - is it hidden somewhere?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Unless I'm missing it, there's no obvious sign of any wiring - is it hidden somewhere?

Kind Regards, John.

It don't have no wiring These detect the presence of water in the base of the machine then it shuts off the supply.

No, there is wiring in the ones I've seen. The tube you can see is a flexible conduit and carries a two core flex and a hosepipe inside it, hence the "lightning bolt" electricity warning on the casing...

It don't have no wiring These detect the presence of water in the base of the machine then it shuts off the supply.
If there is no wiring, then activation by some sort of pressure/flow sensing would certainly make sense - that's why I commented on the absence of wiring as a means of questioning whether this really was any sort of 'solenoid valve' - which surely implies wiring?

Kind Regards, John.

here's a closer view of the type I'm thinking of View media item 43612you can just see the 220/240v label on the side. This type most certainly contains a solenoid valve, I've stripped them apart to use the valves in stage effects...

here's a closer view of the type I'm thinking of .... you can just see the 220/240v label on the side. This type most certainly contains a solenoid valve, I've stripped them apart to use the valves in stage effects...
That clinches it, then. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John.

Yep, the second one is definantly a solenoid valve to control the water to the dishwasher / washing machine.

The first one looks to be a very poorly wired pipe thermostat as part of an underfloor heating system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back