what is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just took delivery of a piece of gym equipment, I'm taking it apart to get it upstairs and I came across this, it makes no sense that I can't take it off, and yet there's no screw, and it looks like it's a designated space to collect oil from the moving parts. The assembly instructions just say it's a retainer and a spacer.
20170105_115351.png

Sponsored Links
As a guess I'd say it was a once in a lifetime greasing point for that spindle that you see.....which is retained by that circlip.
John :)

Looks like a circlip. Used in lots of automotive parts. You can remove a circlip with a couple of flat screwdrivers. The pros have a special circlip tool

Sorry if the above isn't helpful

I read your post as asking about removal as opposed to purpose....

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry if the above isn't helpful

I read your post as asking about removal as opposed to purpose....

:oops:
no i definitely would like to remove it if possible, so i can remove the circlip, what about the thing in front of it? is it just a spindle as mentioned above? do you think it would just slide out?

I would imagine that it will just slide out once the circlip is removed. There is most likely a groove in the spacer and/or rod for the circlip to fit into. I don't have circlip pliers but have removed circlips carefully with 2 flatties (using them to pry the circlip apart) Be careful where you do this because circlips have a habit of pinging off!!

As above.....there's probably another circlip on the other end of that spindle.
For info, red grease is usually to lubricate rubber parts.
John :)

very unpleasant experience, the circlip pliers did nothing, i had to wedge it off with screwdrivers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back