What kind of spot light to use in steam/shower enclosure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a building a bathroom of size approx 5m by 5m. Within that we will be creating a 1.5m by 1.5m steam room/shower enclosure. What can we use for spot lights within this 1.5m2 enclosure given the steam room intention?

Sponsored Links
I guess I would need to choose the same spot lights for the shower enclosure that I would need for the rest of the bathroom and the connected room to the en suite for matching purposes. Problem then is that the connected hall ways and other rooms wont match.

Firstly, you do not really want a 'spotlight' - a light which lights a spot.

As it states in the first link above, all that is required is that it shall be IPX4 (or IPX5 if subject to jets of water) or better.
Any light stated as suitable for a shower by a reputable manufacturer will do.
Zone 1 in the shower up to 2.25m. from the floor; Zone 2 above that.
Google "shower lights".

I would be more concerned with holes in the ceiling of a steamy room so wouldn't choose lights which allow air to pass through the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
I would be more concerned with holes in the ceiling of a steamy room so wouldn't choose lights which allow air to pass through the ceiling.
Indeed. The lights you choose must comply with Building Regs Part C (resistance to contaminates and moisture). You do not want the steam being drawn up into the roof space where it will condense on the wooden joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back