Pull Cord proximity to shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Planning ahead for an electrician to visit next week i.e. trying to suggest options to the Mrs before he arrives. We are wanting to install an extractor fan above the shower enclosure (normal quadrant open to top). we want separate control to the light which is already on a pull cord.

Options are either a ceiling pull cord near the shower enclosure (say 50 to 100mm from the outside edge of enclosure) or we have the option of a switch outside the bathroom albeit at socket height (residual left over from previous wiring but does have conduit in place making easy to lay wire).

Would the pull cord be too close to the shower or likely be affected by the steam?

It is my preferred option as I dont like the idea of the low level switch (I dont like the idea of chasing the wall to put a proper height switch in as no plans to redecorate).

I have look at the zoning and I thought it would be ok but father in law thinks the steam is likely to be a problem. Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi

thanks for the replies.

Ceiling is approx 2200mm high and shower tray is low profile. 50mm ish. Quadrant is 1900mm high and shower head max height is below this but I am not at the house so cannot be exact. Pretty standard set up though with head sat just below/at same level to enclosure.

Sponsored Links
The heights need to be confirmed.
But with regards to such likes of steam, condensation, moisture.
It's a logic call, the regulations say that environmental and external influences should be taken in to consideration.

Why not have a humidistat fan?

Or one triggered by the shower being turned on? That can be done purely electrically, or by detecting water flow or temperature on the hot supply pipe.

I have look at the zoning and I thought it would be ok but father in law thinks the steam is likely to be a problem. Any help much appreciated.
Ceiling is approx 2200mm high ...
The heights need to be confirmed. But with regards to such likes of steam, condensation, moisture. It's a logic call, the regulations say that environmental and external influences should be taken in to consideration.
As PBoD says, confirming the heights is crucial. If the ceiling is only 2200mm (above finished floor level), then the location the OP is describing would be in Zone 2, so that considerations of environmental suitability etc. would become irrelevant - that location for a switch would simply not be allowed. However, if the height is 2250mm or more, then everything probably changes - 5cm could make all the difference.

Kind Regards, John

hi all. thank you for the comments so far. I have just measured up and confirmed heights are as follows:

ceiling height 2400mm (to which pull cord would be attached)

shower enclosure height 1950mm

max shower head height when attached to rail 1990mm

to make things loom right my preferred place for the pull cord to fall is at between 50mm and 200mm from the shower enclosure.

cheers

ceiling height 2400mm (to which pull cord would be attached)
In that case, you can put it any where you want with the condition that it must be suitable for the environment.

Have you thought about fitting it in the loft with the cord coming through the ceiling?
You could fit a flex outlet plate on the ceiling for neatness.

With regard to your desire for it to be 'in the shower', it is not necessary to switch these on and off at every usage so their position isn't really that important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back