What lamp does this fitting take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed this old GEC fitting today. Can anyone tell me what lamp it takes?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look as if there's enough room for a ballast so I'm guessing tungsten halogen? The 189mm R7s linear kind?

Sponsored Links
I remember ordering some metal halide lamps. However when they arrived they were SON, so the supplier came with a conversion kit and I swapped a few components. The point being the casing means nothing, it what is inside the casing which matters. This actually worries me with fluorescent to LED conversion where the starter is replaced with a fuse. Great if your removing one tube and replacing with another, but if tube is missing how do you know what tube to use? OK I know there is a sticker to put on the fitting, but can't guarantee that sticker is still there when it comes time to replace.

It'll be notifiable if you're going to fit it in the bathroom zones and will need an RCD.

A 1KW halogen flood is a bit much for the average bathroom, will certainly keep you warm though.

No one has got it yet. I guessed 1000W halogen from the size of it, but I was incorrect.

It is as old as it looks! It was lighting a pub car park if that helps.

Ok, if it's as old as it looks and there's no ballast, how about a self ballasted mercury? I think GE once made them in linear form?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back