What Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to install french doors between my two reception rooms. The wall I'll be working on is the main load bearing wall in the house, made from two courses solid brick (1840's house) The doors are 1170 wide and the lintel I was looking at was a concrete steel reinforced lintel 1500x100x70. Is this sufficently strong enough??

Sponsored Links
nice looking but expesive compared to a concrete one. If they do the same job I would go for the cheaper one.

If I understand your question correctly, your making an opening on an internal load bearing wall?
You say the wall is two courses, you mean side by side crating a solid 9" wall? then a reinforced concrete lintel is fine, (as you will make good over the top) but your going to need TWO of what your thinking of using, (side by side) 1500x100x70, but I would also advise beef up the height to 1500x100x215, don't make the opening any bigger either as the bearing wont be there.

Sponsored Links
In a typical domestic setting, a 65mm deep RC lintel is good for at least 2100mm opening. But it ultimately depends on if there are any specific close unusual loading arrangements such as a point load from a beam or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back