what material to make mini drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just hatched a plan on how to use the 100 mm of extra width at the back of one section of my kitchen worktop . . . a bit of background . . . I have pipework runing down one wall thats going to 'push' out my kitchen cabinets by 100mm. So I've been looking at using 750 wide worktop, but wasn't to happy with that plan because I want to use pre-made bamboo for the worktop and I can't find any in 750 . . .

So, it came to me today that a good solution would be to build a line of 'mini drawers' along the wall, 100 mm deep, 100 high and probably 300 wide so I can continue the splashback tiling over them . .

I'm thinking this plan will give the kitchen a unique feature, but more importantly I'll be able to use 650 mm wide bamboo all around for my worktop, and a peice of whatever timber for under the draweres where you won't see it.

so, my question is . . .(phew does above make sence??) is - what material should I make my drawers from - mdf would seem the obvious but being a kitchen . . . . it seems inevitable they would get wet . . .

thanks for any advice on this, and has anyone seen anything liek this doen before?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I would avoid MDF even MR (moisture resistant) as its not going to give the strongest of draws.

Either a good quality birch plywood or a thin (10-12mm) solid timber such as maple or beech. Finger joints will look good with either of these.

Jason

cheeres jason. I've been wanting to try finger joints for awhile so this looks like a good excuse. do you use a router table to do yours?

Huey

Sponsored Links
I've got a Leigh dovetail jig and the extra finger joint plate. But its not too hard to make up a jig to do them in the router table.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back