What Mattress Do You Swear By?

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of some comments associated with the news some years ago, that (John Lewis?) were flogging a mattress for £22k.

"The first layer is a finest merino wool mat, sown by artisans.
Next is a bed of two thousand individually hand - polished stainless steel coils, lovingly stitched together with the flax of South Island plants.
Then, finest knitted silk cushioning, merged with hand-stitched cashmere pocketing. All perfectly bound in finest 4000-count pure Egyptian cotton.

And, topped with a gullible bell end who's paid £22k for a mattress. "

:LOL:

Ikea do perfectly good , relatively cheap mattresses, the more firm the worse for the back though IME.

Blup

One thing I was told, was that unless the mattress was a really bad or worn out one - then it would make little difference to any back pain. Most of the sales blurb for the benefits of expensive, fancy mattresses, is just that. All that really matters is comfort.
Not true Harry. I used to wake every single morning with burning back pain. We were on holiday in Havana and after four or five days I noticed; no back pain! I took the bed covers apart to look at what sort of mattress it was. No manufacturer but it was obviously a foam type thing. When I got back I did some research and went with the Emma mattress. It was Which top buy and was the only memory foam that did not cause the 'jelly mould' effect. That's where you sink into it and get stuck. I didn't like the sound of that on the others so the Emma it was. 200 day trial. That was 5 years ago and I have not woken with back pain since. I've had the odd episode of back pain, but not due to sleeping. Very comfortable as well.

PS. our old mattress was a £1500 orthopedic. Supposed to be one of the best.

Sponsored Links
Not true Harry. I used to wake every single morning with burning back pain. We were on holiday in Havana and after four or five days I noticed; no back pain! I took the bed covers apart to look at what sort of mattress it was. No manufacturer but it was obviously a foam type thing. When I got back I did some research and went with the Emma mattress. It was Which top buy and was the only memory foam that did not cause the 'jelly mould' effect. That's where you sink into it and get stuck. I didn't like the sound of that on the others so the Emma it was. 200 day trial. That was 5 years ago and I have not woken with back pain since. I've had the odd episode of back pain, but not due to sleeping. Very comfortable as well.

I, too, suffer occasional back pain, but no mattress I have ever slept on has made the slightest difference to it, of that I am certain. Likewise, I too prefer to sleep on a mattress, rather than in it. My present one, cost £60/70 yet tracing it from its label, they also sell the same one sells for close to £400 - I think that says a lot about the profits to be made in the industry. If further proof were needed, just watch the ads on TV, where they month in, month out sell at the same half price.

PS. our old mattress was a £1500 orthopedic. Supposed to be one of the best.

The above was swapped out for an expensive 'orthopaedic' mattress, I noticed no actual difference in comfort. It does all leave me wondering how much work and materials might need to go into manufacturing a mattress to make it worthy of such a price tag - oxygen free, gold-plated springs perhaps?

I'm actually in a similar situation. We recently upgraded to a king-size bed and decided to go with a hybrid mattress. I was initially hesitant because I'm a back sleeper, and I was worried the memory foam layer would be too soft and unsupportive. But we ended up taking a chance, and it worked out great! The mattress is extremely comfortable and supportive, and I've had no issues with it. Plus, since it's a hybrid, it is much more durable than a pure memory foam mattress. Also, you might find some sleep accessories on Sleep Underground. Let me know if this helps you!

Last edited:
Depends on persons weight.
The simba we have has a 10 year warranty, but will only be valid if you weigh under 18 stone.
I wonder how's many look at that information?

I have returned an Emma mattress... was too soft for our liking. When we tried to return it, they said they wanted to try to send us a topper that would make it a bit firmer but we had ordered the new one already.
We got an Eve mattress that we're happy with. It was a tad more expensive but much better for our liking.

I have returned an Emma mattress... was too soft for our liking. When we tried to return it, they said they wanted to try to send us a topper that would make it a bit firmer but we had ordered the new one already.
We got an Eve mattress that we're happy with. It was a tad more expensive but much better for our liking.

Just been on their website. Coupled with whst you say I may just give them a go.

British made helps tip it

Our Eve Original Hybrid is also designed and made here. The best bit is that you get a full year to trial it.

We have two singles, and got ours for less than £250 each. They are around £300 each normally.

Sponsored Links
Back