What mortar mix for fireplace?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was a bricklayer many years ago but left the trade and it's a very long time since I built a fireplace so I'm looking for some advice.
The fireplace opening has been stripped out leaving a large box like opening. I want to run a screen of bricks round both sides and the back and then place a fire basket with a cast iron back plate in the finished opening and burn logs.
I think that as long as I use a decent brick and lay them with lime mortar it should be alright but I can not remember what mix it should be.

Sponsored Links
The mix should be 3/1 sand/lime. This ensures that every bit of sand is covered by the lime binder.

6:1 is strong enough, you could even go to a 9:1:1 if you use cement too.

3:1 may be to strong and more likely crack with the heat

Make sure to iron the joints smooth as you can

I have used a 3/1 mix on quite a few fires over the years and never had any problems as lime mortar is pretty flexible. However a weaker mix may be better, but I havn't used one so I couldn't say.

Sponsored Links
A 1/1/9 mix is 4 1/2 to 1. Cement will help the mix go off but its flexibility will be less than 3/1 sand lime which is the traditional mix for chimneys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back