What must home sellers divulge to buyers about work done?

there you are they have forgotten about the work or are lying to you

how old is the seller ??

Sponsored Links
Problems with roof and problems with drains. I would get in touch with the people who built the house not ( The one lady owner )

Problems with roof and problems with drains. I would get in touch with the people who built the house
What after 18 years :eek: you’d be very lucky to get any joy out of NHBC within the 10 year window let alone chasing a builder after 18. :LOL:

Max

Given what you have written, I would say that you clearly have a case and unless the seller is now bankrupt you should be able to get your money and costs refunded. There is no way she could reasonably claim it was built like that, is there ?

I woukd initially contact the solicitor who acted for you and ask their advice. I certainly don't think they ought to charge you since it is related to the sale, but best clear that in advance.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate what you are saying Richard but the problems stem from poor standards of workmanship and should be exposed, instead of pursuing a woman who probably knows very little except that she has paid someone to fix the problems.

I appreciate what you are saying Richard but the problems stem from poor standards of workmanship and should be exposed, instead of pursuing a woman who probably knows very little except that she has paid someone to fix the problems.
To imagine you would be able to seek compensation off the house builder some 18 years after it was built is completely bonkers.

Not really compensation freddy but just to let them know the problems they are causing people and embarrass them into doing something about it, as 18 years is nothing in my eyes for a new build.

but just to let them know the problems they are causing people

Catlad, your comments might have a little validity if it was a small family business but to imagine that it would have the slightest influence on a national company which is likely to have been taken over in that time and have nobody original left, is indulging in hugely overblown dreams.

No one is going to be interested in defects after 18 years; a national builder would just laugh at you & a small local builder will probably have retired to Spain by now or may even be building properties for god; or the devil :LOL:

It does sound as if the lady on question has been economical with the truth & less than honest with her replies to the questionnaire but weather you can do anything about it will probably severely test your resolve! I had similar personal experiences with drains & other things back in 2004 when I bought my current 1960’s property, it’s very annoying & can be expensive. Luckily I managed to get some compensation from the surveying company I used (full survey) who’s report admitted the drain covers weren’t even lifted “due to poor access”, something I was easily able to prove was complete ball ocks!

I’m always banging on about the general cavalier attitude by some to illegal or unauthorised/non compliant building works causing problems when you sell & I would be very interested if you pursue this & how it turns out. There has been far too much of this going on for too long & it’s good that the times are a changing; the sooner those who think regulation doesn’t apply to them wake up to the fact it does, the better.

Couple of things. A full structural survey (now generally known as a full building survey) would not necessarily show a problem with the drains. You would also have needed to do a specific survey on the septic system and probably a cctv as well.

I was recently involved in a situation where a seller had to pay a purchaser £1000 because they failed to mention one small window on the side of a lean-to extension which didn't get replaced when they had double glazing fitted. They described the house as full replacement double glazing - which it was not.

You would have absolutely no chance pursuing the builder in this case because you have no contractual link with them. If you have any chance at all it is in pursuing the vendor.

The vendor certainly should have disclosed the works to the septic system. My advice is get a full survey done now and establish the likely costs. If they are high then it may be worth pursuing. If it's only a couple of grand then probably not.

If they are high then it may be worth pursuing. If it's only a couple of grand then probably not.

Smalls Claims Court surely. Costs under GBP 100 ( I think )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back