What Painting and Decorating qualifications do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working a boring office job for the last too many years and for the last year and a half I have been plucking up the courage to quit and become a painter & decorator. I’ve always been creative and hands on around my own house. A few years ago I got into upcycling and furniture painting and the desire to develop my skills further, leave an office and never return is growing stronger by the minute. I’m not going to lie it’s a scary thought, but the thought of spending the rest of my working life behind the desk is 1000x scarier. I have spent hours looking for painting and decorating courses but any course where you gain some form of recognised qualification (level 1 diploma for example) are full-time in collages which I can’t really do because of the full time job I will have to stay in for the time being. Do I need Level 1 Diploma if I am planning to go off on my own? I am also thinking about how much I’d be able to learn in a recognised course? Are weekend courses enough?

Any experience, tips, advice would be much appreciated. I’m looking for a course in Leeds/Doncaster/York area.

Also, any advice of setting up your own business? Should I work for someone else to begin with?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, I dont think painting and decorating pays that well and its physically tiring work. Think twice before quitting your job

You do not NEED a qualification.....you just need to be able to do the jobs. Painting is easy and fun, wallpapering is trickier and more fraught with problems which'll attack your profit margin and credibility. There's loads of work around, and your presentability, professionalism, reliability and promptness will trump some Dipoloma or other, I promise you.

PM me if you want more details of how to get started.

As wabbit says ^^^.
Good quality work at a reasonable price is what you want to aim for.
And do a job that you can feel proud of when its finished, self satisfaction with a finished job is a priority, although you may not agree with the customers choice of colour scheme etc

You will learn things as you go, these College Claims mean nothing to a Customer , they are mainly if you work for firm.

A good Public Liability Insurance is a must. Put all works on paper so the Customer knows exactly what you intend to do and the materials you use. because at some stage a customer will question your work however good it is

With the advent of the Internet, YouTube, books etc you will pick up your information as you go, Decorating Suppliers can be helpful with many problems and recommend products to use.

and dont forget to go to Trade shows to pick up the newest information on a product. (or a Trade Forum)

Sponsored Links
Yeah but how does she know quality? - and that's the problem i see time and time again. Mr diyer turned pro thinks he's done a great job until a decent apprentice/buddy system or city and guilds trained dec shows him/her up. The college system does not guarantee turning out good painters but what they should at least come away with is knowing the standard required, failing that standard is up to them for whatever reason. Already too many chancers in this game (because it's unregulated and why would it be)?, go and learn computer security or learn properly.

I would think a lady dec. has a better chance in the customer orientated world of refurbs and interior decorating. I was taught by my old dad who was taught by his dad. But I preferred plumbing so signed up for an apprenticeship in that - way back in '71;) I always remember a dec. firm local to us that advertised "Quiet, Reliable tradesmen " So a clean overalled, diligent involved dec. will do well, and the ladies are on the same wavelength with colours and finishes. My cutting in walls to ceilings still isn't brilliant, but like a lot of trades practice makes perfect. Good luck, hanna.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

DcDec, I wouldn't just go and start painting without learning from a professional, so I'll sign myself up for a course that will hopefully allow me to, as you say, come away knowing the standards required. I guess my question was - do I need to attend the course that will provide recognised qualifications which by the sounds of it, not necessarily. There are lots of courses out there that teach you all you need to know but won't give you a diploma at the end of it.

Wabbit and Boss White thanks a lot for your advice, that's very helpful, Wabbit, I might take you up on that PM.

Nige, I appreciate that. I really hope I can make it! Long way ahead :)

I have been working a boring office job for the last too many years and for the last year and a half I have been plucking up the courage to quit and become a painter & decorator. I’ve always been creative and hands on around my own house. A few years ago I got into upcycling and furniture painting and the desire to develop my skills further, leave an office and never return is growing stronger by the minute. I’m not going to lie it’s a scary thought, but the thought of spending the rest of my working life behind the desk is 1000x scarier. I have spent hours looking for painting and decorating courses but any course where you gain some form of recognised qualification (level 1 diploma for example) are full-time in collages which I can’t really do because of the full time job I will have to stay in for the time being. Do I need Level 1 Diploma if I am planning to go off on my own? I am also thinking about how much I’d be able to learn in a recognised course? Are weekend courses enough?

Any experience, tips, advice would be much appreciated. I’m looking for a course in Leeds/Doncaster/York area.

Also, any advice of setting up your own business? Should I work for someone else to begin with?

My advice is to work for sombody for a couple of years. You will soon rrealize the reality of what it takes to become a painter and decorator.

You will struggle to make anything £££ from just going college and setting up on your own. You will be really slow and if you work in high end homes you will soon get found out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back