What part is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vented conventional boiler / hot water cylinder central heating system. My boiler (baxi Solo) is in the loft.
Between my pump (in the cylinder cupboard) and the two water pipes going to the boiler (at the junction where the expansion pipe goes up to the small header tank) is a silver metal small cylinder about 3" in dia (basically about a quarter of a baked bean tin), with some sort of moving parts in.
This is making a noise and reverberating round the pipes.

Any ideas what it is?????????

//www.diynot.com/network/nayarit/albums/

Sponsored Links
it is called an air seperator, google it and you will get some info on it, briefly it aids removal of air up the vent pipe

Sponsored Links
there isn't no moving parts in it.it must be a lump of hard muck or lump of solder bouncing around.

OK. Does it generate a bubbling noise that could reverb along the pipes? If so how to silence?

thats where your system will remove any air in the system up to the vent pipe.
but they are not useally noisey.

how longs it been noisey ?

Since I moved in the house, initially thought it was the GF pump (but I listened with metal rod and thats running quiet), isolated all its pipes and worked upto this little devil which appaers to be the orogin of the noise which travells down the pipes. Annoying in the loft when in bed!!

could always drain the system to just below it cut it out and check and replace it, if you leave enough on the pipes to rejoin it.

they are common for blockages.

OK - thanks for your help. Minor I know, but blooomin annoying!
Seriously, thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back