What part of the engine is this called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sorry to sound stupid but can someone tell me what part of a swift gls engine this is ? reason for asking is the part on my swift engine is really badly rusted to the state where if i pulled it, it would probably break up. many thanks joe. p.s as you can gather i dont know much about cars !

Sponsored Links
Take it that its the tin plate on top, of the item you have marked?
Exhaust manifold heat shield, if it does falloff, it should be OK without it.

hi thanks for reply its the shield thats rusty and the thing underneath it! both are really badly rusted!

The heat shield will rust through beneath the bolts.....all will be well without it anyway.
The bit beneath is the exhaust manifold and that will be rusty too.....they all are. It won't rust through though so forget about that one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
the heat shield itself might not be rusty, it is probably the steel bolts holding it, the shield may be made of non-rusting material. Eventually it will crack or break. Replacing it would be tiresome because the bolts will be rusted in. If you ever do have to change this kind of part, apply copious amounts of copper grease to the new threads first. Even when the grease burns away due to the heat, there will be a fine copper powder remaining to lubricate the threads. Preferably use stainless bolts wgere they are liable to rust.

The reason it does not matter that the manifold is rusty, is that it is made of thick cast iron. The rust you can see is only a thin layer on the surface, the remaining thickness of cast iron is more than enough to do the job. Due to the great heat of the exhaust, ordinary rust-proofing plating or paint would burn off. If you want to make it pretty, you can buy special high-temperature treatments at great cost. By the look of the engine you are not overly concerned about prettiness. Some people have an unhealthy obsession with such things.

Here's a pretty one
View media item 65899

Preferably use stainless bolts wgere they are liable to rust.

I'd caution against using stainless bolts if there's any possibility of them coming into contact with ferrous metals. Stainless is electrolytically quite vicious and will accelerate rusting of the ferrous part it's in contact with. The worst situation is a stainless self-tapper into a thin mild steel panel.

Back