What products that your family regularly bought growing up would you never buy today?

Parrafin delivered to your door.
My nan used to have it for her Parrafin heater. When we moved into our first house in 1984, one of the first people to knock on the door was the Parrafin man. The previous owners used to have it (no central heating). Mrs Mottie opened the door and the conversation went something like this: "Parrafin, luv"? "Sorry"? "Parrafin". "I don’t know what you mean" "Do you want to buy any Parrafin"? "What is it"? It went on for a while until I interjected. I was cracking up as she had genuinely no idea what it was and what it was for. I bought a 4 litre can of it a while ago for my greenhouse heater. It was over a tenner!

Sponsored Links
Parrafin delivered to your door.
My nan used to have it for her Parrafin heater. When we moved into our first house in 1984, one of the first people to knock on the door was the Parrafin man. The previous owners used to have it (no central heating). Mrs Mottie opened the door and the conversation went something like this: "Parrafin, luv"? "Sorry"? "Parrafin". "I don’t know what you mean" "Do you want to buy any Parrafin"? "What is it"? It went on for a while until I interjected. I was cracking up as she had genuinely no idea what it was and what it was for. I bought a 4 litre can of it a while ago for my greenhouse heater. It was over a tenner!

I remember when petrol stations had paraffin pumps; you gave the girl 50p for a token which you put in the pump for a gallon. I used an old Castrol oil tin can - strangely those are valuable now.

I remember when petrol stations had paraffin pumps; you gave the girl 50p for a token which you put in the pump for a gallon. I used an old Castrol oil tin can - strangely those are valuable now.
They are. I still have an old oil can that goes back to the 1930s, not the tin can kind; one with the long nozzle that has just the right reach to hit the spot. Those old enamel shop signs are much sought after, too. Their original owners would be gobsnacked to see the money they make.

Sponsored Links
They are. I still have an old oil can that goes back to the 1930s, not the tin can kind; one with the long nozzle that has just the right reach to hit the spot.

My red Webasco (inherited) still has green Duckhams in it.

Back