What 'protective oil'?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't quite an electrics question, but it relates to a sticker on some outdoor lights that we have. I am not sure where else to post this question.

The lights we have are pretty common and they look like this (NOT THE ACTUAL PRODUCT WE BOUGHT, BUT OURS LOOK VERY SIMILAR TO THIS):
https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/e...ll-light-with-pir-sensor-stainless-steel.html

The sticker says:

To maintain the high quality finish this product must be cleaned and treated regularly with protective oil

Sorry for the dumb question (I have a desk job and limited DIY knowledge), but what kind of protective oil am I supposed to clean these lights with? And why?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it's stainless steel?

If it's poor-quality Chinese steel, which may contain insufficient Nickel in the alloy, or none, then it will tarnish and rusty spots or streaks appear. You can clean these off using a green nylon pan scourer with WD40. Only rub in the direction of the brushing, because scouring will leave a mark.

You probably won't be able to get mirror-finish stainless bright, but you can try, using a coarse but clean cotton cloth.

You will be unable to remove any pitting, which is due to poor-quality manufacture, but will probably not stop the lamp from working.

The WD40 leaves a temporary oily film that helps repel water. But corrosion is accelerated by grit, dirt and pollutants. A really oily film will trap and hold dirt, which is not what you want. Sponge clean before polishing.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Thank you both @EFLImpudence and @JohnD .

I've checked the website where we did buy these from (a well known High Street name) and see it described as steel with no mention of 'stainless'. I would describe the finish as 'brushed' in that it looks more like brushed nickel than shiny chrome.cI am not seeing any tarnishing or rust, although the lights are only a few years old and under a small eave.

I guess this is not a normal part of peoples house jobs then? e.g. take out the bins, mow the lawn, oil the lights

Next time if I see this on a product I will return it ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both @EFLImpudence and @JohnD .

I've checked the website where we did buy these from (a well known High Street name) and see it described as steel with no mention of 'stainless'.

Stainless steel is a type of steel so the well known high street is right. Your original link in post 1 however goes further and clearly describes it as stainless steel.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Your original link in post 1
I do apologise for that. I just intended to link to show what the lights look like (e.g. their style). I should have included just an image, without any description which could mislead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back