What refrigerant is current for split air conditioning units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at various adverts for air con units I note some use R407 gas and others R410.

Is one older than the other or more efficient than the other and is there, in fact, any newer standard of refrigerant. Are there any new regulations I should be considering?

I am not looking to install air con as a DIY project as I realise I will need an engineer but, would welcome some advice prior to making a purchase.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a go at this. I'm not an air conditioning expert, but I am responsible for day to day operation of, and the arranging professional maintainance of the equipment at my place of employment.

My understanding is, but I am open to correction on this:

R407 is generally a suitable replacement for older air conditioning systems that are designed to work with R22 which has now been outlawed.

R410 has a better energy efficiency rating, but will only work with the newer equipment designed to use it, I'm fairly sure that it can't be used in the older R22 systems.

I would check out some of the manufacturers web sites Dakin, Mitsubishi etc and see what refrigerants they use in their latest models. Might give you a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back